Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Anil Gangolli <an...@busybuddha.org> on 2005/07/08 16:24:59 UTC

plans for 1.x and 2.x

I'd like to understand the plans for 1.x and 2.x a bit better than I do.

(1) Are we expecting to put out any further 1.x releases (other than bug fixes)?   I have one bug fix (http://opensource.atlassian.com/projects/roller/browse/ROL-754) that should be in a 1.3 release.
This is due to our numbering conventions and the expectation that MySQL 5.0 may come out before Roller 2.0.

(2) Do we have a list of tasks we need to do to the codebase prerequisite to graduating from the incubator, and are we planning to do that work be done on trunk or the 2.0 branch?

--a.

Re: Steps to graduate from incubator

Posted by Allen Gilliland <Al...@Sun.COM>.
I actually took Anil's comment to mean what features/fixes do we want
present in the code before we feel that we are finished with the
incubator.  That's what I meant when I said I had a list of remaining items.

-- Allen

RE: Steps to graduate from incubator (was: plans for 1.x and 2.x)

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Dave Johnson wrote:

> * Deal with licensing issues
>    - Roller requires Hibernate, which is LGPL
>    - Roller also has a JSPWiki plugin [(LGPL)]
>    - Can we keep the LGPL jars in Apache Subversion?

At this time, LGPL code is an issue unless you access it very indirectly,
e.g., an LGPL JDBC driver, where your code is entirely naive about which
driver is in use.  We are hopeful that these issues will be resolved with
the FSF, but until then, LGPL would be a blocker.  Cliff Schmidt is managing
licensing issues for the ASF at this time, and can go into detail.

> * Setup project website
>    - A roller/jspwiki driven site like rollerweblogger.org?
>    - Or just a static site generated by build process?

A static site is no problem, and should go under
http://incubator.apache.org/roller, which means placing it under
/www/incubator.apache.org/roller.  A roller-based site is a bit more of an
issue, would go under roller.zones.apache.org, and perhaps should wait for
graduation.

> * Make a release through website
>     - To learn the Apache release process

Your mentors can definitely help out here.

> * Apply Apache license

This should be done immediately.

	--- Noel

Steps to graduate from incubator (was: plans for 1.x and 2.x)

Posted by Dave Johnson <da...@rollerweblogger.org>.

Re: plans for 1.x and 2.x

Posted by Dave Johnson <da...@rollerweblogger.org>.
On Jul 9, 2005, at 5:37 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Allen Gilliland wrote:
>> At Sun our management is expecting us (Dave, me, Sun blogs team) to
>> aim
>> for roughly monthly deliveries and so our development cycles are going
>> to be geared around that timeframe.
>
>> Obviously this is specific to blogs.sun.com and does not need to
>> affect
>> the roller release cycle
>
> Sun (and others) can do whatever they want with the code, but please
> remember that projects in the Incubator are restricted regarding their
> own
> releases.

Oops!

We just (two weeks ago) did an open source Roller release through
Java.Net and we did not follow incubator restrictions. We did not
obtain permission of the PMC. We did not include the word "incubating"
in the name.

Some release restrictions are listed here:
    http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html

Are there any others that we need to be aware of?

Once we deal with the LGPL issue, I'd like to do a release via the
incubator so that we can learn the Apache release cycle.  Until we get
to that point, we may want to make another non-Apache release through
Java.Net. Is that a problem?

- Dave

RE: plans for 1.x and 2.x

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Re: plans for 1.x and 2.x

Posted by Allen Gilliland <Al...@Sun.COM>.
Good question.  We should definitely be trying to keep track of a Roller
roadmap.

At Sun our management is expecting us (Dave, me, Sun blogs team) to aim
for roughly monthly deliveries and so our development cycles are going
to be geared around that timeframe.  Currently we are scheduled to do
new releases at the end of each month.  Obviously this is specific to
blogs.sun.com and does not need to affect the roller release cycle, but
it would be nice to keep the two synchronized if possible.

Our current plan is to have a 1.3 release later this month that will
include the new theme management code and whetever other tweaks and bug
fixes we can get to.  Then the following release would likely be the 2.0
release.

I don't have any notes with me right now, but I have a decent sized list
of tasks that I think should be done.  I'm not really sure that I care
about if we get them done while we're in the incubator or afterwards.

I have been working out of the trunk assuming that 1.x work happens
there.  Then once 2.0 is ready we merge the 2.0 branch back into the
main trunk and everything continues from there.  Dave's in charge of
that stuff though.

-- Allen