Posted to users@jackrabbit.apache.org by Kenneth Yue <Ke...@Sun.COM> on 2008/11/20 19:07:20 UTC

[Fwd: Which RepositoryFactory for WebDAV?]

Sorry if you receive this email twice, but I didn't get a response.  I
also send it to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org as well just in case nobody in
users@jackrabbit.apache.org knows the answer.  Thanks.

Ken

Posted by Julio Castillo <jc...@edgenuity.com>.
Angela,
I was following this thread and would think it would be very helpful if you
can put a RepositoryFactory in the spi2dav sandbox.

Thanks

** julio

Posted by Alexander Klimetschek <ak...@day.com>.
On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 12:36 AM, Kenneth Yue <Ke...@sun.com> wrote:
> It certainly wasn't my intention to treat Angela as my subordinate.  If my
> request came across as a demand, I apologize.

Often it is all about the way you ask for something, and I personally
found your wording inpolite. My response was also based on your
previous mail where you wondered why you have to build the spi2dav
project manually from svn - so I felt you had not much feeling for an
OS project.

> P.S. ASAP is not a "defined response time."  :-)

But it's an inpolite term in the context of an OSS mailing list, at least to me.

Regards,
Alex

--
Alexander Klimetschek
alexander.klimetschek@day.com

Re: [Fwd: Which RepositoryFactory for WebDAV?]

Posted by Kenneth Yue <Ke...@Sun.COM>.
Alexander Klimetschek wrote:
> Hi Ken!
>
> On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 5:40 AM, Kenneth Yue <Ke...@sun.com> wrote:
>> I would really appreciate if you could do that ASAP.
>
> Just a short reminder: This is an open-source project which means: a)
> people spend their limited time on it for the great idea of
> open-source software, b) it is *not* a paid support contract with a
> defined response-time and finally c) using open-source libraries means
> to get involved in the project, at least by building it yourself and
> patching it to your needs, which might come in handy for the project
> itself.
>
> Therefore I'd recommend not to ask people for deliveries as if you
> were their manager.

It certainly wasn't my intention to treat Angela as my subordinate.  If
my request came across as a demand, I apologize.

Look, I'm working on another FOSS project too.  I'm familiar with the
work I'm doing.  However, I have not been involved in the development of
Jackrabbit, so it will be awfully inefficient for me to go in and spend
countless hours of time trying to figure out how the current Jackrabbit
code works, how it's organized, what its architecture is, etc. in order
to come up with a RepositoryFactory for spi2dav.

I was really surprised to find out that the server side of JCR remoting
over WebDAV is released but there is no client code for it (which makes
JCR remoting over WebDAV pretty much useless).

If I were to work on this today, this is the approach I'll make.  Please
let me know if this makes sense (all of these are just guessworks so I
could be completely off-base):

1. Try to understand what the SPI architecture is.  I suppose it's an
implementation of JCR using SPI (what does this interface look like?)
and then there are multiple implementations of SPI.  One of that will be
using WebDAV as the remote protocol to communicate with the JCR WebDAV
Servlet.  Another will be using RMI (which I'm not interested in using).

2. Try to understand what a RepositoryFactory is.  There are a couple of
examples.  One is the BindableRepositoryFactory and another is
ClientRepositoryFactory.  There are probably more.  I have to study
these as examples to create my own.

3. There are at least two approaches for creating the RepositoryFactory
for SPI.  The first one is to have just one that takes a parameter for
what type of SPI implementation to use (WebDAV or RMI).  The other
approach is to have different classes that return different
RepositoryImpls that use different SPI implementations.  Oh wait, if
there is really just one JCR2SPI implementation, then the second
approach doesn't make sense.

All of these are not rocket science.  Giving enough time, maybe a few
weeks/months (which I don't really have right now), anyone can do it.
As you can imagine, trying to read and understand all those classes, how
they interact, takes a long time.

On the other hand, Angela has been working on this project for a long
time (I suppose) and definitely is familiar with the Jackrabbit code.
With the other RepositoryFactory examples that she has, she could
probably create one for SPI2WebDAV in a few hours.  :-)  Again, this
RepositoryFactory she checks into sandbox doesn't have to be
stable/tested, just something I can start using for the most basic
scenario to continue my development I'll be very happy.  I can help
debugging and fixing things as I get more familiar with the code, but as
of now I'm not even sure how to start or if my "approach" above makes
any sense.

Thanks for the good work so far.  I really appreciate it.

Ken

Posted by Alexander Klimetschek <ak...@day.com>.
Hi Ken!

Re: 1.5 upgrade problem

Posted by Thomas Müller <th...@day.com>.
Hi,

> There's no "schema" parameter
> for the DbDataStore, and never has been. You're probably looking for
> the "databaseType" parameter (I know, we're not very consistent...).

That's true... But we are getting there: The property databaseType
will be supported in persistence managers and cluster journal in
Jackrabbit 1.6 and later, see

By the way, you usually don't have to specify the database type in the
DbDataStore, because it is detected automatically from the database
URL. However this auto-detection doesn't work (yet) if you use JNDI or
some JDBC wrapper.

Regards,
Thomas

Re: 1.5 upgrade problem

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 9:31 PM, Jim Jones <jo...@trivantisdev.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to upgrade to 1.5 and am getting the following exception when I
> try to startup the repository.  I removed the <!DOCTYPE> setting per the
> release notes.  Is this related to JCR-1462?

Yes, Jackrabbit 1.5 is being more careful about incorrect
configuration files. Jackrabbit 1.4 would just ignore all options it
didn't recognize, but 1.5 will fail with an error so that you don't
accidentally leave typos or other mistakes in your configurations.

> 301266 [main] ERROR org.apache.jackrabbit.core.RepositoryImpl - failed to
> start Repository: org.apache.jackrabbit.core.data.db.DbDataStore does not
> support 'schema

Check your <DataStore> configuration. It looks like you have a <param
name="schema" value="..."/> entry there. There's no "schema" parameter
for the DbDataStore, and never has been. You're probably looking for
the "databaseType" parameter (I know, we're not very consistent...).

BR,

Jukka Zitting

1.5 upgrade problem

Posted by Jim Jones <jo...@trivantisdev.com>.
I'm trying to upgrade to 1.5 and am getting the following exception when
I try to startup the repository.  I removed the <!DOCTYPE> setting per
the release notes.  Is this related to JCR-1462?

422 [main] WARN
org.apache.jackrabbit.core.config.ConfigurationErrorHandler - Warning
parsing the configuration at line 19 using system id null:
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Document root element "Repository", must
match DOCTYPE root "null".
422 [main] WARN
org.apache.jackrabbit.core.config.ConfigurationErrorHandler - Warning
parsing the configuration at line 19 using system id null:
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Document is invalid: no grammar found.
1281 [main] INFO org.apache.jackrabbit.core.RepositoryImpl - Starting
repository...
1453 [main] INFO org.apache.jackrabbit.core.fs.local.LocalFileSystem -
LocalFileSystem initialized at path C:\webtora\repository
2562 [main] INFO org.apache.jackrabbit.core.nodetype.NodeTypeRegistry -
no custom node type definitions found
*301266 [main] ERROR org.apache.jackrabbit.core.config.BeanConfig -
org.apache.jackrabbit.core.data.db.DbDataStore does not support 'schema*
301266 [main] ERROR org.apache.jackrabbit.core.RepositoryImpl - failed
to start Repository: org.apache.jackrabbit.core.data.db.DbDataStore does
not support 'schema
org.apache.jackrabbit.core.config.ConfigurationException:
org.apache.jackrabbit.core.data.db.DbDataStore does not support 'schema
    at
org.apache.jackrabbit.core.config.BeanConfig.newInstance(BeanConfig.java:122)
    at
org.apache.jackrabbit.core.config.RepositoryConfigurationParser$1.getDataStore(RepositoryConfigurationParser.java:708)
    at
org.apache.jackrabbit.core.config.RepositoryConfig.getDataStore(RepositoryConfig.java:794)
    at
org.apache.jackrabbit.core.RepositoryImpl.<init>(RepositoryImpl.java:284)
    at
org.apache.jackrabbit.core.RepositoryImpl.create(RepositoryImpl.java:618)
    at
com.trivantis.webtora.repository.JCRUtil.getRepository(JCRUtil.java:128)
    at com.trivantis.webtora.repository.JCRUtil.login(JCRUtil.java:138)
    at
com.trivantis.webtora.repository.RepMgrServlet.init(RepMgrServlet.java:130)
    at javax.servlet.GenericServlet.init(GenericServlet.java:212)
    at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.loadServlet(StandardWrapper.java:1161)
    at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.load(StandardWrapper.java:981)
    at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.loadOnStartup(StandardContext.java:4042)
    at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:4348)
    at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:791)
    at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:771)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:525)
    at
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory(HostConfig.java:920)
    at
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectories(HostConfig.java:883)
    at
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployApps(HostConfig.java:492)
    at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.start(HostConfig.java:1138)
    at
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.lifecycleEvent(HostConfig.java:311)
    at
org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSupport.java:117)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1053)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.start(StandardHost.java:719)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1045)
    at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:443)
    at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:516)
    at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:710)
    at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:566)
    at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:288)
    at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:413)

Re: [Fwd: Which RepositoryFactory for WebDAV?]

Posted by Kenneth Yue <Ke...@Sun.COM>.
Marcel Reutegger wrote:
> Kenneth Yue wrote:
>> Is a javax.naming.spi.ObjectFactory implementation similar to
>> org.apache.jackrabbit.rmi.client.ClientRepositoryFactory planned? Please
>> consider doing it.  That would make my life (and my users' lives) much
>> easier.  :-)
>
> JSR 283 does not mandate that javax.jcr.RepositoryFactory extends from
> javax.naming.spi.ObjectFactory. The EG decided that there should be a factory
> that is independent of JNDI.

Agreed.

> It would certainly make sense to have RepositoryFactory implementations also
> implement ObjectFactory. Feel free to create a JIRA issue. It should be too
> complicated to implement. patches welcome ;)

I've updated the description of
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCR-1877 for this.  Thanks.

Ken

Posted by Marcel Reutegger <ma...@gmx.net>.

Posted by Kenneth Yue <Ke...@Sun.COM>.
Angela Schreiber wrote:
> hi kenneth
>
>> So how do I use this?
>
> see
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jackrabbit/sandbox/spi/client/src/test/java/org/apache/jackrabbit/client/JCR2SPIRepositoryStub.java
>
> for an example. that used to work for me.
> if that doesn't it is simply broken.

Hmm, Jackrabbit specific coding, which is what I've been trying to
avoid.  I have nothing against Jackrabbit (or else I wouldn't be using
it :-), but having Jackrabbit code (i.e import org.apache.jackrabbit.*)
in my code makes the users of my software hard, if not impossible, to
switch to another JSR170 implementation at deploy/run-time.  For
example, if my users want to use Day's CRX (pay Day money) instead of
Jackrabbit, they can't because I'm using
org.apache.jackrabbit.client.JCR2SPIRepositoryStub in my code.  This
completely defeats the purpose of having a JSR in the first place, IMHO.

Is a javax.naming.spi.ObjectFactory implementation similar to
org.apache.jackrabbit.rmi.client.ClientRepositoryFactory planned?
Please consider doing it.  That would make my life (and my users' lives)
much easier.  :-)  I can't believe I'm the only one asking for it!

>> FYI, for a workaround, I've been using RMI and this works great:
>
> glad to hear. i didn't try that one ;)

Maybe you should, then you'll know what I meant above.  :-)

Thanks.

Ken

Posted by Angela Schreiber <an...@day.com>.
hi kenneth

Posted by Kenneth Yue <Ke...@Sun.COM>.
Angela Schreiber wrote:
> hi kenneth
>
>> I would really appreciate if you could do that ASAP.  How much effort
>> does that require?  Thanks.
>
> i added an initial draft to the client module with
> rev. 722416
>
> see
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCR-1890
> for a very rough summary.
>
> note: you have to update the jackrabbit trunk as well.
> the factory interface i used has just been added by
> marcel on friday (Revision: 721387, Issue JCR-1834).

Thank you very much for checking this in.  I tried it with

   <Resource name="jcr/repository"
             auth="Container"
             type="javax.jcr.Repository"
             factory="org.apache.jackrabbit.client.RepositoryFactoryImpl"

org.apache.jackrabbit.repository.spi2dav.url="http://localhost:8080/jackrabbit/server/"/>

and got

Message: Could not create resource factory instance
Cause: javax.naming.NamingException: Could not create resource factory
instance [Root exception is java.lang.ClassCastException:
org.apache.jackrabbit.client.RepositoryFactoryImpl cannot be cast to
javax.naming.spi.ObjectFactory]

So how do I use this?

FYI, for a workaround, I've been using RMI and this works great:

   <Resource name="jcr/repository"
             auth="Container"
             type="javax.jcr.Repository"

factory="org.apache.jackrabbit.rmi.client.ClientRepositoryFactory"
             url="rmi://localhost:1099/jackrabbit.repository"/>

Thanks again.

Posted by Angela Schreiber <an...@day.com>.
hi kenneth

Posted by Kenneth Yue <Ke...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by Angela Schreiber <an...@day.com>.

Posted by Kenneth Yue <Ke...@Sun.COM>.
Angela Schreiber wrote:
> hi kenneth
>
> please disregard my previous response.
> actually the pom.xml contained outdated
> dependencies.
>
> that should be fixed at revision 720447.

I checked out revision 721047 and the build failed with a lot of errors,
but the jars are created regardless.

Posted by Angela Schreiber <an...@day.com>.
hi kenneth

Posted by Angela Schreiber <an...@day.com>.
hi kenneth

>     [0]  'dependencies.dependency.version' is missing for
> org.apache.jackrabbit:jackrabbit-spi2jcr

did you build the complete jackrabbit/trunk before?
that should from my point of view solve the problem.

angela

Re: [Fwd: Which RepositoryFactory for WebDAV?]

Posted by Kenneth Yue <Ke...@Sun.COM>.
Kenneth Yue wrote:
> Angela Schreiber wrote:
>>
>>> That's what I'm trying to avoid.  Are they at least available on a
>>> Maven repo somewhere?
>>
>> hopefully not. sandbox projects are not released and i
>> would be surprised if someone you put a snapshot to
>> to a public available maven repo.
>
> OK, then, I'll just build them myself.

Too bad, I couldn't build them.  Here's what I got:

[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[INFO]
[ERROR] FATAL ERROR
[INFO]

Posted by Kenneth Yue <Ke...@Sun.COM>.
Angela Schreiber wrote:

>> That's what I'm trying to avoid.  Are they at least available on a
>> Maven repo somewhere?
>
> hopefully not. sandbox projects are not released and i
> would be surprised if someone you put a snapshot to
> to a public available maven repo.

OK, then, I'll just build them myself.

> if, however, you think the spi2dav sandbox project
> should be put into a common release cycle, feel free to
> open an jira issue for that.

Will do.

Posted by Angela Schreiber <an...@day.com>.

Posted by Kenneth Yue <Ke...@Sun.COM>.
Alexander Klimetschek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the (simple) WebDAV server part of Jackrabbit is already very useful
> on its own for mounting a repository as a filesystem and
> reading/writing files into it.

Agreed, but that isn't what I'm looking for.

> Regarding the SPI: For the SPI -> WebDAV you have to manually build
> the project for yourself from the sandbox (which is plain SVN:
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jackrabbit/sandbox/); the spi2dav
> project is at https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jackrabbit/sandbox/spi/spi2dav/

That's what I'm trying to avoid.  Are they at least available on a Maven
repo somewhere?

> Note that I haven't used it myself and it might not be very stable
> (Angela?). There is a readme with some tips:
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jackrabbit/sandbox/spi/README.txt

I saw that too, but I don't want "to test the WebDAV remoting" as
mentioned in the README; I want to use it.  That inevitably requires me
to copy the test code and write my own client.  The ideal solution would
be like org.apache.jackrabbit.rmi.client.ClientRepositoryFactory where I
just configure it in my context.xml with the URL it needs and my code to
lookup up the Repository object from JNDI doesn't need to change.  Does
such RepositoryFactory exist?  Am I just dreaming?  :-)

> Hope that helps,

Hmm, to be honest with you, not much.  :-)

Thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions.

Posted by Kenneth Yue <Ke...@Sun.COM>.
Thanks for your reply, but you misunderstood me.  :-)

I want to use JNDI to obtain a Repository object (no dependency on a
particular JSR170 implementation) in my webapp and just configure the
web container to register the Repository object to JNDI using some kind
of object factory.  The page
http://jackrabbit.apache.org/repository-server-howto.html is almost
perfect for me except that it's using RMI as an example but I want to
talk to a remote JCR via WebDAV.  In other words, JCR -> SPI -> WebDAV
-> JCR.

Shouldn't the URL be http://server:8080/jackrabbit-server/server?

I know there are some code examples under sandbox/spi (mostly test code)
that do what I want, but I'm trying to avoid doing any Jackrabbit
specific coding and just keep my code pure JSR170.  I'm surprised that
Jackrabbit provides a JCR WebDAV Server to allow remoting JSR170 calls
via WebDAV, but yet there is no client available.  In both
http://jackrabbit.apache.org/jackrabbit-jcr-server.html and
http://jackrabbit.apache.org/jackrabbit-web-application.html, a client
is mentioned, like

The client counterpart of this server is represented by the JCR to SPI
project in combination with the SPI to WebDAV SPI implementation that
can be found in the Jackrabbit sandbox.

and

For the corresponding JCR client see JCR to SPI and the SPI to WebDAV
contribution inside the Jackrabbit sandbox.

yet there is no such client to be downloaded in
http://jackrabbit.apache.org/downloads.html

It would be nice if a RepositoryFactory similar to
org.apache.jackrabbit.rmi.client.ClientRepositoryFactory for the RMI
case is provided so that using JCR->SPI->WebDAV->JCR is simply a matter
of configuration and not copying code.  Thanks again.

Ken

Posted by Alexander Klimetschek <ak...@day.com>.