Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com> on 1999/11/24 18:47:06 UTC

Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/cgi-bin printenv

On 24 Nov 1999 rse@hyperreal.org wrote:

>   4. make sure very large lines (usually from $PATH) do not destroy the
>      total optical view on the table by cutting values and replacing
>      the missing stuff with "[...]".

Erm... this makes it less useful.  If there is a long variable, then
it is saying something and you should see it.  I don't buy that it is
"destroying the total optical view on the table".  You can make it even
prettier by not displaying more than the first 50 characters, but you lose
even more information.

>   5. surround values with quotes to allow one to better recognize newlines (as
>      in SERVER_SIGNATURE) and whitespaces and also print newlines
>      as \n and " as \" for a more Shell- and C-style syntax.

Is it really standard to not display "'s normally, but to stick a \ in
front of them?  I don't see that much.

Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/cgi-bin printenv

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.
Marc Slemko wrote:
> >   5. surround values with quotes to allow one to better recognize newlines (as
> >      in SERVER_SIGNATURE) and whitespaces and also print newlines
> >      as \n and " as \" for a more Shell- and C-style syntax.
>
> Is it really standard to not display "'s normally, but to stick a \ in
> front of them?  I don't see that much.

Standard or not, if you are going to do it, you really ought to replace
\ with \\, too.

Cheers,

Ben.

--
http://www.apache-ssl.org/ben.html

     - Indira Gandhi

Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/cgi-bin printenv

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.