Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by JZA <ac...@gmail.com> on 2015/10/12 23:23:55 UTC

Possible Bug or issue

So a user working with CSV face the dificulty that it seems that AOO by
default manage dates with a 2 digit year format. This causes havok on his
data. Having a regular field with 2/20/2015 changed to 2/20/15.

The issue is that by default (might be the locale) AOO assigns a 2-digit
year format, and not even the tempalte can be change to address that.

I think shortcutting information is never a good idea, the opposite wouldnt
be a problem and wonder if this can be patched somehow by editing the
source defaults for the US locale (and others).

To reproduce:
1 . Create a date column with xx/yy/xxxx
​2.  Save it as CSV
3. Open it in Calc
4. Check 'Detect special numbers' (if you dont do this, the dates are
displayed as a string text)
5. See the format of the date change from xx/yy/xxxx to xx/yy/xx​

--
Alexandro Colorado
Apache OpenOffice Contributor

Re: Possible Bug or issue

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 10/12/2015 11:23 PM, schrieb JZA:
> So a user working with CSV face the dificulty that it seems that AOO by
> default manage dates with a 2 digit year format. This causes havok on his
> data. Having a regular field with 2/20/2015 changed to 2/20/15.
>
> The issue is that by default (might be the locale) AOO assigns a 2-digit
> year format, and not even the tempalte can be change to address that.
>
> I think shortcutting information is never a good idea, the opposite wouldnt
> be a problem and wonder if this can be patched somehow by editing the
> source defaults for the US locale (and others).
>
> To reproduce:
> 1 . Create a date column with xx/yy/xxxx
> ​2.  Save it as CSV
> 3. Open it in Calc
> 4. Check 'Detect special numbers' (if you dont do this, the dates are
> displayed as a string text)
> 5. See the format of the date change from xx/yy/xxxx to xx/yy/xx​

this is what I've done:

- created an own CSV file with the following content:

'12/10/2015'

- opened the CSV file

- right click on the column with the date (in the preview area) and
choose a date format you want

- right click on the cell with the date value, choose "Format Cells" tab
"Numbers" and choose a date format with a 4-digit-year

That's it.

Please remember that the date and time values are (normally) not the
ones that are shown. Calc calculates internally with integer values.
Just for us humans a more appropriate number format can be chosen -
either with 2 or 4 digits as year or whatever the user prefers.

I don't see a problem or bug here.

Marcus