Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Al Lelopath <al...@hotmail.com> on 2006/06/20 20:46:20 UTC

tag copy directory convention

I want to take a snapshot of a body of code. According to the manual, I need
to set a complex tag, which will copy from the source directory to another
location. What is the convention for structure and naming of tag
directories? The structure for the code repository is described below. I
would like to create a snapshot of, in this example, /myProject2/. Should I
create a directory named /tag/ at the same level as /Java/ and /Cpp/? or
create /tab/ under /Java/ and /Cpp/? or another way? Should the directory be
called /tag/, /copy/, /version1.0/?

/usr/local/subversion-repository/
--/code/
---- /Java/
------/myProject1/
--------/dir1/
----------myFile1.java
----------myFile2.java
----------myFile3.java
--------/dir2/
----------myFile1.java
----------myFile2.java
----------myFile3.java
----/Cpp/
------/myProject2/
--------/dir1/
----------myFile1.cpp
----------myFile2.cpp
----------myFile3.cpp
--------/dir2/
----------myFile1.cpp
----------myFile2.cpp

Re: tag copy directory convention

Posted by Duncan Murdoch <mu...@stats.uwo.ca>.
On 6/20/2006 4:46 PM, Al Lelopath wrote:
> I want to take a snapshot of a body of code. According to the manual, I need
> to set a complex tag, which will copy from the source directory to another
> location. What is the convention for structure and naming of tag
> directories? The structure for the code repository is described below. I
> would like to create a snapshot of, in this example, /myProject2/. Should I
> create a directory named /tag/ at the same level as /Java/ and /Cpp/? or
> create /tab/ under /Java/ and /Cpp/? or another way? Should the directory be
> called /tag/, /copy/, /version1.0/?

The usual convention is that your main development occurs in a directory
named /trunk, and tag foo is a snapshot of the whole trunk directory
copied into /tags/foo.

Your organization is close to this, except that you call the /trunk
directory /code.  So I'd create /tags at the same level as /code, and
put your tags there.

Your naming of directories myProject1 and myProject2 suggests that you
may have more than one project in this repository.  But I don't
understand your organization very well.  Could you have Java/myProject2
and Cpp/myProject1, or does that not make sense to you?

Generally it's a good idea to put everything for one project in one
directory (usually called trunk, as I mentioned above).  With multiple
projects in one directory you might organize it as

  myProject1/trunk/...
  myProject1/tags/...

  myProject2/trunk/...
  myProject2/tags/...

but it's really up to you.  The reason one directory is good is that it
is easy to check out a single subdirectory, and troublesome to have to
check out more than one.  So put a complete checkout all in one directory.

I hope this helps.

Duncan Murdoch