Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by James G Smith <JG...@TAMU.Edu> on 2002/12/02 08:40:24 UTC

Re: [RFC] Apache::LDAP

Per Einar Ellefsen <pe...@oslo.online.no> wrote:
>Hi James,
>
>At 02:32 02.12.2002, James G Smith wrote:
>>( Actually, the name is chosen to `rhyme' with Apache::DBI.  There
>>are no dependencies on Apache or mod_perl. )
>
>If there is no link with Apache::DBI, I suggest that you choose a more
>appropriate namespace, like Persistent::LDAP

Unfortunately, that's already taken.  The module on CPAN implements
persistent objects with an LDAP backend (if I read the docs right).

The problem is that it's generic enough to be made available without
requiring a lot of misc. stuff (i.e., part of a larger package), but
there's not a good place for it.  At least, I'm not thinking of
anything.

It's also, imho, most useful in an Apache-like environment.

I'll keep thinking about it.

<rant>
  (to noone in particular)

  I've found this list to be far more helpful than the modules@perl
  list.  I've submitted a fair number of modules to that list with
  little to no response.  While I am thankful for those that have
  responded, it's never been enough to feel that there was closure.

  Keep in mind, this is my experience with several modules spread
  across three-five years (not sure when I first posted to the
  list).  Other people have had different experiences.

  While I am willing to try it again, my experience makes me shy away
  from it like a child from a hot frying pan.

  This rant is in no way meant to start flames.  Please do not.  I
  will not respond -- I am just trying to express a small part of my
  frustration that causes me to post RFCs to the mod_perl list
  instead of the modules list, even if they are on the edge (or
  beyond) of mod_perl OT-ness.
</rant>
--
James Smith <JG...@TAMU.Edu>, 979-862-3725
Texas A&M CIS Operating Systems Group, Unix

Re: [RFC] Apache::LDAP

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
James G Smith wrote:
> Per Einar Ellefsen <pe...@oslo.online.no> wrote:
>
>>Hi James,
>>
>>At 02:32 02.12.2002, James G Smith wrote:
>>
>>>( Actually, the name is chosen to `rhyme' with Apache::DBI.  There
>>>are no dependencies on Apache or mod_perl. )
>>
>>If there is no link with Apache::DBI, I suggest that you choose a more
>>appropriate namespace, like Persistent::LDAP
>

> Unfortunately, that's already taken.  The module on CPAN implements
> persistent objects with an LDAP backend (if I read the docs right).

Net::LDAP::Persistent is not taken and seems like a good choice to me.

---

re: modules discussion lists. Are you sure you are talking about the
right list? I thought that module-authors at perl.org is the one for
discussing general perl modules. Whereas modules at perl.org is for CPAN
namespace registration submission. I've found the latter to be much more
helpful, with Tim Bunce usually taking the pains of proposing better
namespaces. So whenever I propose a new module I go first to
module-authors and if nothing happens I take it to modules, which
happens in any case, because I want my modules to be registered.

p.s. those module authors who want their modules to be registered (it's
not enough to upload the module on CPAN), login into your PAUSE account
and go to the registration section. If you have further questions
module-authors at perl.org is the place to ask them.

Re: [RFC] Apache::LDAP

Posted by Christopher Grau <cg...@singleclick.com>.
On Sun, 2002-12-01 at 23:40, James G Smith wrote:
> Per Einar Ellefsen <pe...@oslo.online.no> wrote:
> >Hi James,
> >
> >At 02:32 02.12.2002, James G Smith wrote:
> >>( Actually, the name is chosen to `rhyme' with Apache::DBI.  There
> >>are no dependencies on Apache or mod_perl. )
> >
> >If there is no link with Apache::DBI, I suggest that you choose a more
> >appropriate namespace, like Persistent::LDAP
>
> Unfortunately, that's already taken.  The module on CPAN implements
> persistent objects with an LDAP backend (if I read the docs right).
>
> The problem is that it's generic enough to be made available without
> requiring a lot of misc. stuff (i.e., part of a larger package), but
> there's not a good place for it.  At least, I'm not thinking of
> anything.

I just did a search on CPAN for `LDAP.'  It looks like
`Net::LDAP::Persistent' would be a good namespace for your module.  At
least, I kind of like it.  Others may disagree.

--
Christopher Grau <cg...@singleclick.com>