Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by d....@imagelinx.de on 2005/04/01 12:47:03 UTC

Re: IBM adopting Tapestry in WSAD

april fools?

|--------+------------------------>
|        |          Francis Amanfo|
|        |          <famanfo@tydex|
|        |          .com>         |
|        |                        |
|        |          01.04.2005    |
|        |          13:47         |
|        |          Please respond|
|        |          to "Tapestry  |
|        |          users"        |
|        |                        |
|--------+------------------------>
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                                                  |
  |      To:     tapestry-user@jakarta.apache.org                                                                                    |
  |      cc:                                                                                                                         |
  |      Subject:     IBM adopting Tapestry in WSAD                                                                                  |
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Dear Tapestry aficionados,

IBM has decided to bundle Tapestry with the next major release of its
application development environment, IBM WSAD 6.0. They claim they have
done extensive research on several open source web frameworks and found
Tapestry to be
the best and superior in this area. They were very impressed about how
component oriented Tapestry is. The press release also mentioned that
their developers are in the process of creating literally hundreds of
free
Tapestry components and release them under an open source license in order
to attract more users to Tapestry. And to make Tapestry's learning curve
less steep they're working
on several IBM Red books on Tapestry that developers can download for
free.
The tapestry community should be happy about this news. Finally we have a
heavy weight industry giant behind us. This would certainly push Tapestry
into the mainstream and is good news for us all Tapestry aficionados.
We should all rejoice about this great news!

Thanks, IBM.

Re: IBM adopting Tapestry in WSAD

Posted by Jeff Markham <je...@us.ibm.com>.
Well, unfortunately, I can say yes, this is an April Fools joke.

I have and use WSAD 6.0 (which really isn't WSAD anymore, but renamed to
Rational Application Developer 6.0).  About a month ago, I attended a
presentation given by a lead RAD 6.0 developer discussing their move from
Struts support to JSF and what makes this joke actually pretty funny to me
is that he used almost the exact same words ("done extensive research on
several open source web frameworks") in explaining their decision to
eventually phase out Struts support in favor of JSF.  They've written a
bunch of custom JSF components and made JSF dev kind of drag-and-drop.
WSAD 5.1.2 has JSF support but kind of hidden away in the JSP wizards.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

Jeff