Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by "Scott." <Sc...@anglolimited.com> on 2007/09/20 00:51:49 UTC

Contact mechanisms

Hi All,

I am hoping to get some advice on how to proceed with prospects and request
for information, etc. Our main business is dealing with the end consumer.
It’s all B2C.

We are building out our customized version of ofbiz and we have run into a
question with regards to the way we handle prospects, leads and general
information requests. We currently use a web form on our existing site to
handle requests like more info on a specific product, etc. We also receive
typical emails that we would also like to convert into ofbiz based contact
mechanisms as well as 3rd party referrals. Obviously there are short term
marketing possibilities with these requests but not necessarily any long
term benefit if we don’t convert them to a customer.

So, if I’m understanding correctly and we use the request feature bundled
into ofbiz, then we are able to see the information but there is no way to
assign it to salespeople, customer service, etc. The ideal way looks like it
would be to create a prospect for each request and be able to follow it
through and use the info for short term contact, marketing and incentives to
purchase, etc but even at the best of times, we struggle to get more than a
name and email address. Obviously, we would have to change the field
requirements that are currently necessary in the prospect portion of ofbiz
but we also get a lot of spam too.

So I guess the question is, if we do use the prospect type contact, are we
able to purge unconverted items after a set period of time. I know we can
expire things in ofbiz but spam and unconverted contacts would just take up
unnecessary space and be nothing more than clutter in the long term. Is
there a better alternative that we are not seeing?

I would really appreciate any opinions on this. Thanks in advance for the
help.

Re: Contact mechanisms

Posted by "Scott." <Sc...@anglolimited.com>.
So any opinion on the idea that would allow us to delete these unconverted
prospects? I know that the idea of deleting things is frowned upon but after
a couple months, this stuff would be useless I would think.

Thanks.

Re: Contact mechanisms

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.

Re: Contact mechanisms

Posted by "Scott." <Sc...@anglolimited.com>.

Re: Contact mechanisms

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.

Re: Contact mechanisms

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.
Scott. wrote:
> So, if I’m understanding correctly and we use the request feature bundled
> into ofbiz, then we are able to see the information but there is no way to
> assign it to salespeople, customer service, etc. The ideal way looks like it
> would be to create a prospect for each request and be able to follow it
> through and use the info for short term contact, marketing and incentives to
> purchase, etc but even at the best of times, we struggle to get more than a
> name and email address. Obviously, we would have to change the field
> requirements that are currently necessary in the prospect portion of ofbiz
> but we also get a lot of spam too.

I agree that the prospect screen requires too much information. If enough people agree, I can change
it to just require a name and contact mechanism.

-Adrian