Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Romain De Rasse <ro...@atosorigin.com> on 2010/02/02 10:26:19 UTC

[users@httpd] multipath proxy chaining (failover)

Hi,

I use the ProxyRemote Directive from the mod_proxy module.

I try to do multipath proxy chaining.

I mean :
ProxyRemote * http://192.168.1.1:999
ProxyRemote * http://192.168.1.254:999

The desired effect is that Apache firstly tries the proxy "192.168.1.1" and forward the request to this proxy if he is available.
If this proxy is down, then I'd like Apache to try the second proxy (192.168.1.254), so the path to the web server would be different (failover in case of a dead proxy).

At this time I didn't succeed ;if the first proxy is down then the connection fails.

Does someone have already succeeded in doing such a thing ?

regards,

Romain

RE: [users@httpd] multipath proxy chaining (failover)

Posted by Emmanuel Bailleul <Em...@telindus.fr>.

Hi,

The 'ProxyRemote' directive does not seem to handle failover on its own, as per http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_proxy.html#proxyremote.
Depending on the config of your Apache server (in particular if you use it for other purposes -ie reverse proxy), you could maybe use a "balancer setup" with two members, the latter being configured as 'hot-standby' (?). See http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_proxy.html#proxypass in the same doc for an sample config.
If your goal is only to perform failover of proxy servers, you may also use other "failover" techniques and/or softwares, for ex. : LVS, haproxy, ...

Regards.

Emmanuel