Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Konrad Windszus <kw...@apache.org> on 2023/03/28 18:18:10 UTC

Deprecate maven-shared-utils

Hi,
The initial goal of maven-shared-utils from https://maven.apache.org/shared/maven-shared-utils/ was never reached as plexus-utils was never decommissioned but rather received most attention in the past.
Lots of new bugfixes only ended up in plexus-utils and were never backported to maven-shared-utils.
Given that I would propose to officially deprecated maven-shared-utils and instead recommend using either plexus-utils or Apache Commons libraries (IO, Lang3, …).
Afterwards we should get rid of all dependencies towards it from all Maven Plugins and Core.

Currently we have the unfortunate situation that the code is duplicated without a clear way forward.
The only feature which is not found in plexus-utils is https://maven.apache.org/shared/maven-shared-utils/apidocs/org/apache/maven/shared/utils/logging/package-summary.html but that has been added to Maven 4 API meanwhile and potentially can be easily added to plexus utils.

WDYT?

Konrad

Re: Deprecate maven-shared-utils

Posted by Slawomir Jaranowski <s....@gmail.com>.
Hi

We simply can not maintain too many similar libraries ... it will be better
to put power to one.

plexus-utils also looks like a swiss army knife for me: cli,
dag(???), interpolation, introspection, io, reflection, xml .... some of
tham also is in shared-utils

Today many features can be replaced  by JDK >= 1.8
We can also we existing library like commons-io, and so on - even when we
need make a fix in it - will be better than maintain next own

--
Sławomir Jaranowski

Re: Deprecate maven-shared-utils

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.
Am 2023-03-28 um 20:18 schrieb Konrad Windszus:
> Hi,
> The initial goal of maven-shared-utils from https://maven.apache.org/shared/maven-shared-utils/ was never reached as plexus-utils was never decommissioned but rather received most attention in the past.
> Lots of new bugfixes only ended up in plexus-utils and were never backported to maven-shared-utils.
> Given that I would propose to officially deprecated maven-shared-utils and instead recommend using either plexus-utils or Apache Commons libraries (IO, Lang3, …).
> Afterwards we should get rid of all dependencies towards it from all Maven Plugins and Core.

I second that!

> Currently we have the unfortunate situation that the code is duplicated without a clear way forward.
> The only feature which is not found in plexus-utils is https://maven.apache.org/shared/maven-shared-utils/apidocs/org/apache/maven/shared/utils/logging/package-summary.html but that has been added to Maven 4 API meanwhile and potentially can be easily added to plexus utils.
>
> WDYT?

I'd make this a standalone, tiny components. No huge module anymore.

Re: Deprecate maven-shared-utils

Posted by Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@ibiblio.org>.
I've been working on this, here and there as time permits, as have
others. I think there are a number of issues already filed. I've
deprecated a lot of individual methods. Indeed I have an open PR to
deprecate a couple more that can be merged as soon as someone
approves:

https://github.com/apache/maven-shared-utils/pull/136

Some pieces are easier than others. The IO and StringUtils can pretty
much all go at this point. A lot of that can be replaced by pure JDK
methods in any Java 8+ VM. The CLI, introspection, and logging
libraries are perhaps trickier.

@timtebeek has recently started using some really interesting
automated tooling to fix some of this in bulk without a lot of the
manual grunt work normally required. E.g.
https://github.com/apache/maven-doxia/pull/156/files

Send more PRs my way. :-)

--
Elliotte Rusty Harold