Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by 123shyam <sh...@gmail.com> on 2008/11/07 12:04:15 UTC

File Chooser dialog needed

Hello,

I am working on wicket. I need to open a filechooser dialog or a file open =
dialog (like we have in JFileChooser).

I am currently unable to implement it from my wicket page. All I want is a =
file chooser dialog showing only directories , user chooses nd I get back t=
he path selected.

I tried to call a JFielChosser (sinwg) thorught wicket but there seems to b=
e some problem, the dialog cmes in a different location first time and in t=
he center of the 2nd time onwards, I guess the modality is wrong. The JFile=
Chooser needs a Component object type as its parent. But I am unable to pas=
s it from thewicket class. It cannot be cast to a Component or Window.
Kindly help me out on this.

Thanks,
Shyam

Re: File Chooser dialog needed

Posted by Jeremy Thomerson <je...@wickettraining.com>.
Again, you can't do this in a standard HTML form.  For something like this,
you will need to use something like an applet.  Put simply, the browser does
not give you folder locations, and even if it did, your server couldn't list
or grab files from the client's folder.  And, the browser won't
automatically upload an entire folder of anything.  HTML has a file input
only for files - not directories.  Allowing anything different would be a
big security risk.

As far as letting them choose where to save it on the server - why would you
do this?  You can accomplish this by creating or using some sort of browse /
select component, but this is typically a bad idea - why do you want to give
a user access to your server file system over a webapp?  It might be good to
and then how best to accomplish it.  (note - there may be certain use cases
where you do need to do this, but they are very rare, and almost
non-existent on a public app - which this may not be)

Anyway, hope this helps.

Posted by 123shyam <sh...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the response.

Posted by Jeremy Thomerson <je...@wickettraining.com>.

Posted by Shyam Narayanan <Sh...@mindtree.com>.
Thanks for your reply.

My main aim of this task is to download an item into the directory user selects.

So need to open a file dialog to help user choose a directory and then from it get the path user chose, so as to proceed with my
download.

So as you can imagine for this, i have a browse kindoff button for user to chose a directory and as it closes, need to display the path selected in a text field.
The button as well as textfield stand on a wicket page. Just the action of opening a file browser is what i want.

I am very new to wicket. Could you pls explain more on what i would have to do to open such a dialog nd then get the path selected ?

Posted by Bruno Borges <br...@gmail.com>.
If you really want to do that, make sure you install your web application in
each user's computer... :-)
Just to make sure the JFileChooser will actually work. And if you warn the
user about something, don't use a javascript alert. JOptionPane is your
friend here too!

cheers,
Bruno Borges
blog.brunoborges.com.br
+55 21 76727099

"The glory of great men should always be
measured by the means they have used to
acquire it."
- Francois de La Rochefoucauld

On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 10:22 AM, Jeremy Thomerson <jeremy@wickettraining.com