Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com> on 2001/04/27 12:55:04 UTC

[STATUS] (httpd-docs-2.0) Fri Apr 27 06:55:04 EDT 2001

Apache HTTP Server 2.0 Documentation Status File.

If you are interested in helping accomplish some of the tasks on this
list or otherwise improving the documentation, please join the
apache-docs mailing list by mailing to
apache-docs-subscribe@apache.org

- man pages
    - Some of the man pages need to be updated for 2.0.  At least
      the httpd man page appears to be outdated, and perhaps other.
      After this is done, the manual/programs/ versions can be
      regenerated.

- XHTML conversion
                to spearhead this, but we haven't heard anything
                lately.  Some work is still needed
                to determine what the SSIs should look like.

- MPM documentation
   - Each MPM needs to have a documentation file in manual/mod/
     which lists the directives it provides, and some details
     about its operation.
          filled in.
          - Non unix/windows MPMs still need to be completed.
          - perchild MPM needs some docs.

- Merging of changes in 1.3.
   - There have been many changes in the 1.3 docs which haven't
     been propagated into 2.0.
     Things which need to be merged: ???

- Cleaning.
   - We could use a list of all the docs that can be axed out of 2.0
     because they are redundant or irrelevant.
          manual/cgi-path.html (should be documented in mod_cgi.html instead)
          manual/process-model.html (documented in MPMs, eventually)
          platform/perf-* (are these relevant anymore?)

   - Individual docs will need some cleanup.
                 - invoking.html has had a first-pass cleaning done.
                 - misc/perf-tuning.html - needs major rewrite for 2.0
                 - misc/FAQ.html - some old questions could be remove
                                 - is a new format in order?
                 - misc/tutorials.html - mostly not relevant to 2.0
                 - misc/stopping.html
                 - dso.html
                 - misc/rewriteguide.html - needs cleaning in 1.3 and 2.0
                 - misc/known_client_problems.html - mostly ancient
                 - howto/* - some syntax has changed in 2.0 due to
                             filtering and mod_cgid

- New build process.
   - The new build process is autoconf based, so manual/install.html
     will need to be completely rewritten.  Someone with enough
     patience could probably figure out most of the important stuff
     by trial and error.
                a starting place.

- Documentation of new features.
   - This will probably require more input from new-httpd, since
     not many people here follow the development process close
     enough to know what is going on.
                for this.
	        New features which need documentation:
                    - filters !!!

- Translations

Re: [STATUS] (httpd-docs-2.0) Fri Apr 27 06:55:04 EDT 2001

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
As you can see, I have *finally* followed through on
getting the docco project STATUS files into my weekly
report (corresponding to what I do for the httpd and
APR projects).  I moved the STATUS file from /manual/
to the top level for the 2.0 docs tree, and added one
to the 1.3 docs tree.
--
#ken    P-)}