Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by Murali Yelamanchili <ym...@yahoo.com> on 2005/09/01 11:48:00 UTC

Query reg. NekoDTD and DOMParser

Hi,

We have been org.apache.xerces.DOMParser class in
Xerces 1.4.4 successfully to retrieve information on a
DTD. The DocumentType object held all the informastion
related to the DTD.
We are now migrating to Xerces 2.x, and this doesn't
seem to work anymore. The DocumentType object doesn't
seem to have the same kind of information that Xerces
1.4.4 version had.

Since our goal was to eventually generate a schema out
of the DocumentType object, we are looking at the
possibility of using NekoDTD to replace our code.

Has anyone tested NekoDTD before, and how different
would the information it generates, be different from
what the DOMParser used to fill in a DocumentType
object.

Basically, I want to make sure I know how different
would the finro

Regards & Thanks,
Murali

Re: Query reg. NekoDTD and DOMParser

Posted by Andy Clark <an...@apache.org>.
Murali Yelamanchili wrote:
> NekoDTD does build a similar structure today, all we
> are trying to make sure that there wouldn't be any
> significant differences between the Xerces 1.4.4
> DocumentType information and the NekoDTD generated DTD
> structures.

NekoDTD doesn't provide any API for accessing the
grammar -- it just reports the syntactical structure
of the DTD in an XML format. It is up to the application
to turn that into some meaningful data structure.

NekoDTD is my personal project and is not directly
related to the Xerces-J project, except for the fact
that it's built on the Xerces Native Interface (XNI).
If you have any specific questions about the tool, you
can write to me directly.

--
Andy Clark * andyc@apache.org

Re: Query reg. NekoDTD and DOMParser

Posted by Murali Yelamanchili <ym...@yahoo.com>.
We evaluated Trang as well, but the decision currently
is to use NekoDTD and Apache Xerces - partly because
we already use NekoHTML -
Since we already having been using Xerces 1.4.4, we
would like to ideally upgrade to Xerces 2, and also be
able to use the DTD processing feature that Xerces
1.4.4 provided -
We have written our alternative code implementing
LexicalHandler, DeclHandler interfaces to process a
DTD, but the "DocumentType" object that was built by
Xerces 1.4.4 was very handy and straightforward to
use.
NekoDTD does build a similar structure today, all we
are trying to make sure that there wouldn't be any
significant differences between the Xerces 1.4.4
DocumentType information and the NekoDTD generated DTD
structures.

Regards,
Murali

Posted by Bob Foster <bo...@objfac.com>.