Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Rahul R <ra...@gmail.com> on 2014/05/06 15:25:24 UTC

Unable to unpack war under webapps

Hi

I have put ROOT.war under webapps folder of tomcat. When I start the
instance I am getting the below error on catalina.out.

INFO: Deploying web application archive /opt/tomcat-proxy/webapps/ROOT.war
May 06, 2014 6:28:22 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig
beforeStart
SEVERE: Exception fixing docBase for context [/ROOT]
java.io.IOException: Unable to create the directory
[/opt/tomcat-proxy/webapps/ROOT]

I am not sure why this is happening. Checked the permissions on webapps
folder as well as the war file. Its 755.

P.S: I am able to use jar to unpack it manually under webapps.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Rahul R

RE: Unable to unpack war under webapps

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Rahul R [mailto:rahul.raviz@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: Unable to unpack war under webapps

> tomcat was running as a different user and I tried to start using root.

Do not *ever* run Tomcat as root.  Read this:

http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/HowTo#How_to_run_Tomcat_without_root_privileges.3F

 - Chuck

Re: Unable to unpack war under webapps

Posted by Rahul R <ra...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Daniel.. That clue helped... tomcat was running as a different user

On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 7:38 PM, Daniel Mikusa <dm...@gopivotal.com> wrote:

> On May 6, 2014, at 9:25 AM, Rahul R <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I have put ROOT.war under webapps folder of tomcat. When I start the
> > instance I am getting the below error on catalina.out.
> >
> > INFO: Deploying web application archive
> /opt/tomcat-proxy/webapps/ROOT.war
> > May 06, 2014 6:28:22 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig
> > beforeStart
> > SEVERE: Exception fixing docBase for context [/ROOT]
> > java.io.IOException: Unable to create the directory
> > [/opt/tomcat-proxy/webapps/ROOT]
> >
> > I am not sure why this is happening. Checked the permissions on webapps
> > folder as well as the war file. Its 755.
> >
> > P.S: I am able to use jar to unpack it manually under webapps.
>
> What about the owner of webapps?  Is that the same as the user you’re
> using to run Tomcat?  Can that user extract the files?
>
> Dan
>

> > Any help would be much appreciated.
> >

> > --
> > Thanks,
> > Regards,
> > Rahul R

Rahul R

  .~.
  /V\
 // \\
/(   )\
 ^`~'^

Mob: 09008030921

Re: Unable to unpack war under webapps

Posted by Daniel Mikusa <dm...@gopivotal.com>.

Posted by Jeffrey Janner <Je...@PolyDyne.com>.

Who is listed as owner/group on the webapps directory?
What user is Tomcat running under?