Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com> on 2006/01/13 09:15:48 UTC

Incubator PMC vs Board as sponsor (Re: Proposal for OFBiz to Join the ASF)

Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Friday 13 January 2006 04:27, David E. Jones wrote:
>
>>As I understand it in order to become a top level project the Board
>>must be the sponsor, which is why the proposal was written that way.
>

> That is a misconception. For projects targetting top-level, EITHER the Board
> or the Incubator PMC must sponsor.
> Board doesn't like to sponsor, and do so only in exceptional cases. So the
> Incubator PMC is the right folks to address. (And probably why you get the
> "What is this doing here?" response from the Board.)

IMO this is a "buglet" with
http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html

which I filed here:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INCUBATOR-10

If you're reading that for the first time, or even if you're an ASF
member like me who hasn't dealt with incubation before, it doesn't give
you a sense for which one is the best to use.

If someone grants me the relevant SVN karma and points me to the right
checkout url, I will fix this and the other two bugs I filed as well.

--
David N. Welton
- http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/

Linux, Open Source Consulting
- http://www.dedasys.com/

how to update website content (Was: Incubator PMC vs Board as sponsor)

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
David N. Welton wrote:
> Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> > On Friday 13 January 2006 04:27, David E. Jones wrote:
> >
> >>As I understand it in order to become a top level project the Board
> >>must be the sponsor, which is why the proposal was written that way.
> >
> > That is a misconception. For projects targetting top-level, EITHER the Board
> > or the Incubator PMC must sponsor.
> > Board doesn't like to sponsor, and do so only in exceptional cases. So the
> > Incubator PMC is the right folks to address. (And probably why you get the
> > "What is this doing here?" response from the Board.)
>
> IMO this is a "buglet" with
> http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html
>
> which I filed here:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INCUBATOR-10
>
> If you're reading that for the first time, or even if you're an ASF
> member like me who hasn't dealt with incubation before, it doesn't give
> you a sense for which one is the best to use.
>
> If someone grants me the relevant SVN karma and points me to the right
> checkout url, I will fix this and the other two bugs I filed as well.

http://incubator.apache.org/guides/website.html

The incubator/public svn is writable by "members"
and "pmc-chairs" and also by committers on any
of the incubating projects. So pretty well everyone
can help with improving the content.

I gather that there are some parts of the website
(not sure which) that need the agreement of the
Incubator PMC.

-David