Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/24 22:03:29 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] Using _default_ vhosts

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 3:04 PM, jeff00seattle
<je...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Reference:  http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/vhosts/examples.html#default
> Using _default_  vhosts
>
> I am confused between the difference between using _default_:80 and *:80.

I'm convinced it's the same as *.  The manual would have you believe
_default_ is more ip-based and * more name-based, however, name-based
vhosts do ip-based "first".

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com

Re: [users@httpd] Using _default_ vhosts

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Eric Covener wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 3:04 PM, jeff00seattle
> <je...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>> Reference:  http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/vhosts/examples.html#default
>> Using _default_  vhosts
>>
>> I am confused between the difference between using _default_:80 and *:80.
>
> I'm convinced it's the same as *.  The manual would have you believe
> _default_ is more ip-based and * more name-based, however, name-based
> vhosts do ip-based "first".

AIUI * means something only in name-based processing, but I could be
entirely offbase, I haven't looked at that code in almost a decade.