Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by David Poole <dp...@sitecrafting.com> on 2006/09/12 22:18:27 UTC

Out of date error

I'm having a problem with my subversion installation. We're using ssh on
a OS X server to authenticate users, and the repositories are on the
same server. My problem is that the server isn't correctly generating
'out of date' errors. Example: user Dave and user Joe check out the
project Bus at revision 42. Dave updates and commits changes to
plan.php, so the revision is now at 43. Joe modifies a bunch of files,
including the now out of date plan.php. When he commits, he does not
update his working copy, and the repository merges all changes,
including the changes to plan.php, to revision 44. Dave's modifications
are now in repository limbo. I can get to them, and merge them back into
the working copies, but I need to have the out of date errors when
someone tries to update out of date copies.

If somebody could please help me figure out what's going on, and how to
fix the out of date (lack of) errors, I'd be very appreciative.

Cheers,

user dave

Re: Out of date error

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@softlanding.com>.
David Poole <dp...@sitecrafting.com> wrote on 09/13/2006 12:04:56 PM:

> I'll try to answer your questions as best I can, but I'm not a
> subversion expert. I'm the guy that spoke up in a meeting and said "We
> need source control". I believe we're running subversion 1.3.something
> on OS X 10.4. We're using Eclipse and Subclipse as our IDE and interface

> to svn. I think it's a FSFS repository, but I'm not sure. I've been
> unable to reproduce my error, despite the fact that it's happened a
> number of times here; so I'm guessing that Joe discarded the changes
> somehow. I can view the diff - in 43 there's a big block of text that
> dave added, and in 44, the block is gone - but I can't figure out how
> this happened. I'll have to take a closer look at how we're doing
commits.

If they are using Subclipse, they might be using the Synchronize view to
do everything.  This will show a conflict on the item, but if they are
inexperienced, perhaps they are just taking the "Mark as Merged" option
without having first merged the changes?  If they did this, then that
would update their local revision, while preserving their current local
contents.

If that is the case, instruct them to use the Update option so that
Subversion can automerge the contents and if any conflicts are produced,
they can then resolve them before committing.

Mark

Re: Out of date error

Posted by David Poole <dp...@sitecrafting.com>.
Ryan -

Re: Out of date error

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Re: Out of date error

Posted by Kevin Greiner <gr...@gmail.com>.
On 9/12/06, David Poole <dp...@sitecrafting.com> wrote:

> I'm having a problem with my subversion installation. We're using ssh on
> a OS X server to authenticate users, and the repositories are on the
> same server. My problem is that the server isn't correctly generating
> 'out of date' errors. Example: user Dave and user Joe check out the
> project Bus at revision 42. Dave updates and commits changes to
> plan.php, so the revision is now at 43. Joe modifies a bunch of files,
> including the now out of date plan.php. When he commits, he does not
> update his working copy, and the repository merges all changes,
> including the changes to plan.php, to revision 44. Dave's modifications
> are now in repository limbo. I can get to them, and merge them back into
> the working copies, but I need to have the out of date errors when
> someone tries to update out of date copies.
>
> If somebody could please help me figure out what's going on, and how to
> fix the out of date (lack of) errors, I'd be very appreciative.

Can you provide a command-line receipe to reproduce?