Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Manohar Kamath <ma...@yahoo.com> on 2003/04/08 14:12:38 UTC

java.lang.ClassFormatError on Servlet

Dear All,

I am finding a strange problem with a servlet.

No problem while compiling, but i am getting problem while calling the servlet

throws error :

type Exception report

message

description The server encountered an internal error () that prevented it from fulfilling this request.

exception
javax.servlet.ServletException: Cannot allocate servlet instance for path /servlet/MyServlet	at org.apache.catalina.servlets.InvokerServlet.serveRequest(InvokerServlet.java:435)	at org.apache.catalina.servlets.InvokerServlet.doGet(InvokerServlet.java:180)	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:740)

root cause
java.lang.ClassFormatError: MyServlet (Extra bytes at the end of the class file)	at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass0(Native Method)	at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:509)	at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:123)

will anyone can help on this

thanks in advance,

Manohar Kamath

RE: java.lang.ClassFormatError on Servlet

Posted by James Lewis <ja...@goodtechnology.com>.
I believe this may be something to do with using a different class at
compile and run time.

E.g. When the class was compiled it used one version of a jar it depends on,
but when called as a servlet, the class it depends on is a different
version.

Check that Tomcat is using the same version as your compiler did.

James

Ps I may be entirely wrong about this.