Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Ajay <aj...@gmail.com> on 2014/12/05 08:25:03 UTC

Clarifications on Spark

Hello,

I work for an eCommerce company. Currently we are looking at building a Data
warehouse platform as described below:

DW as a Service

REST API

SQL On No SQL (Drill/Pig/Hive/Spark SQL)

No SQL databases (One or more. May be RDBMS directly too)
    | (Bulk load)
My SQL Database

I wish to get a few clarifications on Apache Drill as follows:

1) Can we use Spark for SQL on No SQL or do we need to mix them with
Pig/Hive or any other for any reason?
2) Can Spark SQL be used a query interface for Business Intelligence,
Analytics and Reporting
3) Is Spark supports only Hadoop, HBase?. We may use
Cassandra/MongoDb/CouchBase as well.
4) Is Spark supports RDBMS too?. We can have a single interface to pull out
data from multiple data sources?
5) Any recommendations(not limited to usage of Spark) for our specific
requirement described above.

Thanks
Ajay

Note : I have posted a similar post on the Drill User list as well as I am
not sure which one best fits for our usecase.

R: Clarifications on Spark

Posted by Paolo Platter <pa...@agilelab.it>.
Hi,

1) yes you can. Spark is supporting a lot of file formats on  hdfs/s3 then is supporting cassandra and jdbc in General.

2) yes. Spark has a jdbc thrift server where you can attach BI tools. I suggest to you to pay attention to your Query response time requirements.

3) no you can go with Cassandra. If you are looking at mongodb you should give a try to stratio platform

4) yes. Using JdbcRDD you can leverage rdbms too

5) I suggest to use spark as a computation engine, build your pre-aggregated views and persist them on a data store like Cassandra. Then attach the BI tools to aggregated views directly.

Paolo

Inviata dal mio Windows Phone