Posted to soap-dev@xml.apache.org by Leif Nilsson TACMa <le...@tac.se> on 2002/05/31 15:07:15 UTC

Support for character sets other than UTF8 ?

I need to control what type of character encoding to use when talking SOAP.

In particular I need to use UTF7 when talking to an embedded device.

Does anyone know how and if this is supported by Apache SOAP v2.2 ?

Leif Nilsson
Software Engineer

TAC AB
Jägershillgatan 18
SE-213 75 Malmö, Sweden
Direct	+46 40 38 69 56
Fax	+46 40 21 82 87
Mobile	+46 xx xxx xx xx
www.tac-global.com

This email is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to whom
it is addressed. It may contain information that is privileged, confidential
or otherwise protected from disclosure under applicable law. If you have
received this transmission in error, please delete it immediately and notify
me by mailing me.

Re: Support for character sets other than UTF8 ?

Posted by Scott Nichol <sn...@scottnichol.com>.
Leif,

I have found a way to get the HTTP header to specify a utf-7 charset.  However,
I do not believe there is a way to get the XML declaration string to specify
anything but utf-8, because it comes from Constants.java:

  // XML Declaration string
  public static final String XML_DECL =
    "<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>\r\n";

The attached file is a modified version of the GetAddress sample that specifies
utf-7 in the HTTP header, i.e. the request looks like this:

POST /soap/servlet/rpcrouter HTTP/1.0
Host: localhost
SOAPAction: ""

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<SOAP-ENV:Envelope xmlns:SOAP-ENV="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/"
<SOAP-ENV:Body>
<ns1:getAddressFromName xmlns:ns1="urn:AddressFetcher"
<nameToLookup xsi:type="xsd:string">John Doe</nameToLookup>
</ns1:getAddressFromName>
</SOAP-ENV:Body>
</SOAP-ENV:Envelope>

Scott Nichol