Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Ramon Gonzalez <ra...@prarl.org> on 2002/07/24 02:58:18 UTC

Delivery threads and spool threads

Hello,

I am currently using JAMES at work to deliver approximately 17,000 email
messages per "blast"  to the trade industry I serve. After every "blast" I
assess to see how much time it took and currently have the config.xml set to
have 50 delivery threads and 50 spool threads.

I didn't realize I can set more than 1 delivery thread. My first blast took
26 hours! After discovering this, the last "blast" took about 3 hours 15
minutes when set to 50 threads.

It seems the delivery threads are optimized, but saw the "spool" lagging a
bit behind the outgoing messages. I just upped the value to 100 spool
threads and kept the delivery threads to 50.

Has anyone pushed the limit to anything higher than this? The server is a
Sun Solaris and is dedicated to email delivery only.

Thanks!

Re: Delivery threads and spool threads

Posted by Ramon Gonzalez <ra...@prarl.org>.
Thanks for the info. As for the delivery threads being optimized, means that
messages are not being "piled up" in the outgoing folder waiting for a
connection. They were being delivered a few seconds after arriving in the
"outgoing" folder., so this is not an issue anymore.

I'll check to see if memory leaks is a problem. We use a Sun Solaris box.

Posted by Andrei Ivanov <my...@surfeu.fi>.
Hello,
I haven't tested james with more than 50 threads but I might have some
experience which can be useful (I used continuous loads with short size
messages (about 4-10KB) during days with rate about 6 messages per second).
The main problem I cam across is the memory leak. It was consuming about
200bytes per message (on W2K). This consumption doesn't start immediately
but became obvious after first 100 000 messages and remains constant
afterwards. Have you checked if your James leaks memory during blasts?
Secondly, James spool manager is known to lose files in spool (file not
found exception in log). Did you observe those exceptions in logs? Have you
checked that?

> It seems the delivery threads are optimized
What do you mean by this?

Andrei