Posted to dev@syncope.apache.org by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org> on 2020/05/03 07:50:53 UTC

[DISCUSS] Troubles with release:prepare

Hi all,
during the recent release process for 2.0.15 and 2.1.6 I have been following the steps in [1] as usual.

Unfortunately, when I arrived to launch the release:prepare step, I could not move forward as the Maven Release plugin, after asking for version to release and next development version to set, was not effectively advancing the POM files.

The execution of

mvn -P apache-release release:prepare -Darguments="-P all,docker -DbuildNumber=syncope-2.1.6"

left the source files set to 2.1.6-SNAPSHOT and thus produced all artifacts with such version, not 2.1.6. (Same happened with 2.0.15).

After struggling for some time, I finally came to decision to manually replicate the various steps normally performed by release:prepare [2]: fortunately, this approach was effective, and I could also continue following [1], including the release:perform step.

I took some notes of the manual process in [3].

Now I was wondering: what could possibly be the reason of the bad functioning of release:prepare? I even tried with older Release plugin and Maven versions: no luck.

As last resort we can always adjust [1] with content from [3], but I'd rather give release:prepare  a chance.

WDYT?
Regards.

[1] http://syncope.apache.org/release-process
[2] http://maven.apache.org/maven-release/maven-release-plugin/examples/prepare-release.html
[3] https://gist.github.com/ilgrosso/b2abd6674290d6fe144704dffbeda418

--
Francesco Chicchiriccò

Tirasa - Open Source Excellence
http://www.tirasa.net/

http://home.apache.org/~ilgrosso/

Re: [DISCUSS] Troubles with release:prepare

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.
>> Thanks Misagh for your reply.
>>
>> In my case I've run the command on the same exact platform (e.g. my own laptop) as I did other times including the last one before this one, e.g. 2.1.5 / 2.0.14.
>>
>> To ensure the SCM section was not causing the issue, anyway, I made this change on a branch of my own fork:
>>
>> https://github.com/ilgrosso/syncope/commit/009b3f8c760cdad1defaa0a8056f1afd221884cd
>>
>> Same exact error: release:prepare generated source-release zip for 2.1.7-SNAPSHOT, not for 2.1.7.ilgrosso as it was instructed to.
>>
>> I can spot the problem because a simple
>>
>> diff pom.xml pom.xml.releaseBackup
>>
>> returns no diff, meaning that pom.xml was not changed.
>>
>> I am going to pose the question to Maven user@ list.
> FTR:
>
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/a4e00db99a094ff1e06ab19774a00413604cc22a2d8701c76c1ef9f0%40%3Cusers.maven.apache.org%3E
>
> As you can read there, my further investigation pointed the skipTests profile guilty, let's see if we can get some support there.

Update: some response there made me double-check if we had any local setting for maven-release-plugin, defined in ASF pom: it turns out so, hence I made some checks and finally applied the required change to all active branches.

Next release process should go smoother :-)

Regards.

> On 04/05/20 12:23, Misagh Moayyed wrote:
>>> I have run into this before, but only when:
>>>
>>> 1. Running a command-prompt on windows.
>>> 2. Running a bash on windows, using the likes mingw or babun
>>>
>>> In my case, this was caused by a number of things:
>>>
>>> 1. Bad ssh-agent that could not communicate correctly with git.
>>> 2. Somehow, the release plugin thought I was not running commands from the project working directory.
>>> 3. Very old versions of git.

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.

Posted by Misagh Moayyed <mi...@tirasa.net>.