Posted to users@pdfbox.apache.org by Lukas Jans <lu...@borm.ch.INVALID> on 2024/01/04 11:00:38 UTC

Cannot get overlaypdf working on command line interface

Hello

I am having troubles using the pdfbox command line interface. I have downloaded the pdfbox-app-3.0.1.jar and saved it locally.
I am using Windows 11 version 22H2. On my PC Java is installed as follows:
[cid:image001.png@01DA3F03.32514690]

In the same local folder I have two pdfs, namely document.pdf and background_confidential.pdf. Now I want to overlay them using the command overlayPDF as described here: Apache PDFBox | Command-Line Tools<https://pdfbox.apache.org/3.0/commandline.html#overlaypdf>. I try that as follows:
[cid:image002.png@01DA3F03.CC952870]

This is slightly confusing in the first place since the documentation says the command to be called overlayPDF and not overlay as suggested by the error message.
However, I can of course adapt the command to overlay instead of overlayPDF. Leaving the other arguments unchanged I get the following result:
[Ein Bild, das Text, Screenshot, Schrift enth?lt.  Automatisch generierte Beschreibung]

In order to check whether there is a mistake concerning the formatting of the arguments or so, I try the command merge with the same arguments like this:
[cid:image004.png@01DA3F05.0F7C9460]
This works as intended.

So, first of all, is there something wrong with the documentation? Because it says the command is called overlayPDF but I have to enter overlay to make it understand what I want. And secondly, what is the problem with the execution of the overlay command?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Kind regards
Luke

Re: Cannot get overlaypdf working on command line interface

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.
Please use "overlay" instead of "OverlayPDF". This is a documentation bug.

(See also the "did you mean" line in the error message)

Tilman