Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by "Hill York Controls Dept." <hy...@bellsouth.net> on 2004/06/28 23:25:02 UTC

Write to a file

I downloaded and installed the Apache All-in-one ver 1.3 for windows binary
with Apache, Perl and mod-Perl pre configured and  everything seems to be
working. I created the file "mod_perl_rules.pl" as described in the
documentation however when I click on it the perl screen just flashes and
nothing else happens. I am experiencing the same thing with the perl script
that should write to a database.txt file when a form is submitted.

It may be due to write permissions but having absolutely no experience I
simply can not figure it out (even with the really good  543 page
instruction manual I downloaded in PDF format). I tried the % mkdir
/home/user/modperl command in both dos and in the ppm but get errors in both
places. Security is not an issue nor is anything else. The only thing I need
is to get the script to write to a file. I have this server on a local
computer strictly for form development and testing. Since I am the only one
on the system there is no reason for protection at all... it's not public..

Any help to get it up and running would be greatly appreciated.. I feel I'm
close but no cigar yet...

Thanks in advance,

Ward Brotherhood
West Palm Beach, Florida

Re: Write to a file

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.
On Mon, 28 Jun 2004, Hill York Controls Dept. wrote:

> I downloaded and installed the Apache All-in-one ver 1.3
> for windows binary with Apache, Perl and mod-Perl pre
> configured and everything seems to be working. I created
> the file "mod_perl_rules.pl" as described in the
> documentation however when I click on it the perl screen
> just flashes and nothing else happens. I am experiencing
> the same thing with the perl script that should write to a
> database.txt file when a form is submitted.

First off, unless you have a really good reason not to, I'd
suggest using the Apache/Perl binary for Apache-2 and
perl-5.8 (Perl-5.8-win32-bin.exe) - there are some very
significant performance enhancements for Win32 that this has
over the one based on Apache-1.3/perl-5.6.

I'll be making up a new version of the Apache-2/perl-5.8
binary shortly, based on perl-5.8.4, as soon as
Apache/2.0.50 is released.

> It may be due to write permissions but having absolutely
> no experience I simply can not figure it out (even with
> the really good 543 page instruction manual I downloaded
> in PDF format). I tried the % mkdir /home/user/modperl
> command in both dos and in the ppm but get errors in both
> places. Security is not an issue nor is anything else. The
> only thing I need is to get the script to write to a file.
> I have this server on a local computer strictly for form
> development and testing. Since I am the only one on the
> system there is no reason for protection at all... it's
> not public..

It's hard to tell what's wrong without seeing some of your
code. Can you provide a sample script, minimized to
illustrate the problem, along with a copy of the relevant
Apache configuration section in httpd.conf and what appears
in Apache's error log, if anything, when you run it? Before
doing that, though, if this is a script that's being run
under Apache::Registry for mod_perl-1/Apache-1.3, or under
ModPerl::Registry for mod_perl-2/Apache-2, you may want to

- make sure that the supplied example registry script in the
binary distribution that just prints out the environment
variables works - this will test your installation and
configuration,

- try your script as an ordinary cgi script under the
cgi-bin directory (if there's no mod_perl-specific code
in it) - this will test that the script itself contains
no obvious Perl-related errors.

You might also want to consult the documentation at
http://perl.apache.org/, including the Win32-specific
sections if you think this is a Win32 problem, to see if
anything there gives a hint at resolving this.

--
best regards,
randy kobes