Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Ri...@ubsw.com on 2000/07/31 16:07:36 UTC

Re: Advantages of Struts (Model 2 Framework) vs. JSP only approach

I would like my development group to start using struts for web
development. Where can I find a list of struts advantages over the more
traditional JSP only approach? This would help me "sell" the framework
in my group.

I took a look at readme file in the source, but I am looking for more
of a comparison of struts vs. jsp only.

I appreciate any information.

Thanks,
Rich

related financial instruments.

Re: Advantages of Struts (Model 2 Framework) vs. JSP only approach

Posted by David Geary <sa...@tri-lakesonline.net>.
Eduardo Pelegri--Llopart wrote:

> re:  doEndTag() & BodyContent
>
> we are working it out in the errata.  Not yet reached closure.

In the meantime, why not modify struts tags so that they access body content in
doAfterBody() instead of doEndTag()? It seems as though it would be a pretty
simple change, and would allow those of us that use Resin to use struts with it.

david

Re: Advantages of Struts (Model 2 Framework) vs. JSP only approach

Posted by Eduardo Pelegri--Llopart <Ed...@eng.sun.com>.
re:  doEndTag() & BodyContent

we are working it out in the errata.  Not yet reached closure.

re: removes ability for graphic designers to provide layout of form in
traditional tools such as DreamWeaver...

I'll show my ignorance here, but why?  If that were true, that would be
a big CON in my book, but...

Thanks,
	- eduard/o

Posted by Pasi Salminen <pa...@profithome.com>.
Somebody has probably said this already, but I'm saying it again:

Struts consists of several pieces and Struts taglib is only one piece of the
framework. So, even without using Struts taglib it gives you a lot! You get the
basic programming model for free and if the taglib annoyes you (or the HTML
editor), don't use it. Use normal JSPs (or sometimes even plain HTML is enough)
instead. You still have Model 2 programming model, but you have more duties
(like digging beans from the session)! I'm not encouraging anybody to do this,
but I wanted emphasize that using taglib is only an option.

Greetings,

Paci