Posted to dev@zookeeper.apache.org by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org> on 2010/03/30 01:20:08 UTC

ZooKeeper Roadmap - 3.4.0 and beyond

It's that time again, thinking about the next release of ZK. From what
I'm hearing people seem interested in improving client support
(ZOOKEEPER-22 missed 3.3) and reducing some technical debt.

In particular I believe we should look at the following going forward.
Of course ZooKeeper is open to submissions in that aren't on this list.
If you have any suggestions please feel free to enter a JIRA, submit a
patch, or comment on this thread.
http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/ZooKeeper/HowToContribute

3.4 (~3 months out)

* ZOOKEEPER-22
* Netty - allow encryption btw servers (potentially clients too)
* Testing
   * mockito
   * split out client tests, allow running against mocks as well as
various versions of server
   * improve C client testing
* test container support
* split out zab? (might be useful as a library for third parties)

Feel free to respond to this email with any thoughts, suggestions, etc...

Regards,

Patrick

Re: per Roadmap - 3.4.0 and beyond

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.
That would be great. src/contrib holds the existing language bindings,
please add it there. Feel free to create a JIRA and attach a patch:

Posted by Maarten Koopmans <ma...@vrijheid.net>.

Re: ZooKeeper Roadmap - 3.4.0 and beyond

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.
Gustavo Niemeyer wrote:
>>> Yes! Yes! Both server and client, please!  As we discussed, we want to
>>> use ZooKeeper as a coordination service within a network which
>>> shouldn't be *entirely* trusted, and this is a critical feature for
>>> this reason.
>> I believe Ben's worked out most of the server-server comm changes, but there
>> are still many rough edges I planned to take up and work out. We'd need ppl
>> to test it. If it's something you'd want to use it would be in your best
>> interest to do so prior to the release. Client-Server support is a different
>> matter, we'd have to see how the server works out first re release timing.
>
> Ok, understood.  Do you think the implementation of server-client
> support would be relatively straightforward once server-server is in
> place?

Ben just mentioned to me that he's done the client side, not the server,
and that the server should be easier than the client. We'll see. ;-) I'm
trying to get him to submit a patch to JIRA now.

Patrick

Posted by Gustavo Niemeyer <gu...@niemeyer.net>.

--
Gustavo Niemeyer
http://niemeyer.net

Re: ZooKeeper Roadmap - 3.4.0 and beyond

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.
Gustavo Niemeyer wrote:
> Hey Patrick,
>
>> * ZOOKEEPER-22
>> * Netty - allow encryption btw servers (potentially clients too)
>
> Yes! Yes! Both server and client, please!  As we discussed, we want to
> use ZooKeeper as a coordination service within a network which
> shouldn't be *entirely* trusted, and this is a critical feature for
> this reason.

I believe Ben's worked out most of the server-server comm changes, but
there are still many rough edges I planned to take up and work out. We'd
need ppl to test it. If it's something you'd want to use it would be in
your best interest to do so prior to the release. Client-Server support
is a different matter, we'd have to see how the server works out first
re release timing.

>> * Testing
>>  * mockito
>>  * split out client tests, allow running against mocks as well as various
>> versions of server
>>  * improve C client testing
>> * test container support
>> * split out zab? (might be useful as a library for third parties)
>
> What is zab?

zab is the atomic broadcast used by the servers to communicate changes.

Posted by Gustavo Niemeyer <gu...@niemeyer.net>.
Hey Patrick,

> * ZOOKEEPER-22
> * Netty - allow encryption btw servers (potentially clients too)

Yes! Yes! Both server and client, please!  As we discussed, we want to
use ZooKeeper as a coordination service within a network which
shouldn't be *entirely* trusted, and this is a critical feature for
this reason.

My time is currently all taken by the project which will depend on
this feature, but I may be able to help with testing aspects of the
feature, and if I'm very lucky I may even be able to get someone else
on board on time for this release to contribute more directly.