Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by "SuichII, Christopher" <Ch...@netapp.com> on 2013/07/31 17:26:38 UTC

UI Plugin Feature Discussion

I have a couple UI Plugin related features I'm close to wrapping up and I'd like to throw them out to take some feedback:

(I realize this is bad form to discuss the feature after implementation, so I apologize for that. However, everything here provides an optional feature for plugin developers and shouldn't pose any problem to the existing UI.)

UI Internationalization:
This would allow UI Plugins to contribute their own internationalized strings to the global js dictionary. Each plugin would define a dictionary.js and several dictionary_<locale>.js files. As each plugin is loaded, the appropriate plugin dictionary is loaded into the global js dictionary (with the global dictionary taking precedence in the event of a conflict).

Re-usable Zone Chart:
I have extended some functions in zoneChart.js to allow plugins to create charts by simply defining their own function which assembles the chart itself rather than having to define the chart in zoneChart.js

Dialog value field:
Currently, the identifying value of json objects is assumed to be 'id' or 'name' (if 'id' doesn't exist). I have added the option of allowing fields to specify which json property should be the identifying value of an object.

Default value functions:
Currently, the default value for a UI field must be a constant. I have extended the dialog forms to allow default value functions which are given the standard 'args' allowing default values to be determined at run time.

has_units field:
I have added a new dialog field type called 'has_units'. This field has an input box side by side with a select box. The select box is populated with predefined units (MB, GB, TB, for example) and uses (also predefined) conversion functions to allow automatic updating of the input box value when the units select box is changed.

Please let me know what the proper course of action is from here. Should I go ahead and submit diffs to reviewers or is there any discussion to be had before I do that?

Thanks,
Chris

Re: UI Plugin Feature Discussion

Posted by "SuichII, Christopher" <Ch...@netapp.com>.
require.js only requires the appropriate dictionary, depending on the locale, so…kind of =)

I have submitted one review request for each of these features on ReviewBoard. Let me know if anything isn't right (this is my first time using ReviewBoard).

Chris

Posted by Jessica Wang <Je...@citrix.com>.
Chris,

Posted by Jessica Wang <Je...@citrix.com>.
> I would suggest you to submit multiple patches for each category because that way it will be easier to review and merge your changes.

+1

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
Never mind - Alex handled it.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.