Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com> on 2010/03/23 11:53:19 UTC

More svn layout

*sign* I thought I'd finally got to the end of all this but I was about to
create the INFRA jira to get the new federated build git mirror created and
it occurs to me that the location of the federated build is less than idea.

In particular, the federated trunk, tags and branches are all under:

  https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/harmony/enhanced

which actually contains:

  admin/
  branches/
  buildtest/
  classlib/
  classlibadapter/
  common_resources/
  contrib_archive/
  drlvm/
  jchevm/
  jdktools/
  microemulator/
  sandbox/
  tags/
  tools/
  trunk/

I'm not sure if the git mirroring can cope with this (I suspect it can).
Regardless, it would seem more sensible to have the federated build
under a subdirectory such as:

  https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/harmony/enhanced/j2se

or something.

I am extremely pleased with how the restructuring is going but I'll be a
lot happier when it is over. ;-) I can't help thinking if we don't fix
this it will come back to haunt us eventually.

Any thoughts/suggestions very welcome.

Regards,
 Mark

Re: More svn layout

Posted by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>.
In message <20...@d12av04.megacenter.de.ibm.com>,
Mark Hindess writes:

> In message <20...@d06av02.portsmouth.uk.ibm.com>,
> Mark Hindess writes:
> >
> > In message <20...@d12av01.megacenter.de.ibm.com>,
> > "Mark Hindess" writes:
> > >
> > > *sign* I thought I'd finally got to the end of all this but I was
> > > about to create the INFRA jira to get the new federated build git
> > > mirror created and it occurs to me that the location of the federated
> > > build is less than idea.
> > >
> > > In particular, the federated trunk, tags and branches are all under:
> > >
> > >   https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/harmony/enhanced
> > >
> > > which actually contains:
> > >
> > >   admin/
> > >   branches/
> > >   buildtest/
> > >   classlib/
> > >   classlibadapter/
> > >   common_resources/
> > >   contrib_archive/
> > >   drlvm/
> > >   jchevm/
> > >   jdktools/
> > >   microemulator/
> > >   sandbox/
> > >   tags/
> > >   tools/
> > >   trunk/
> > >
> > > I'm not sure if the git mirroring can cope with this (I suspect it
> > > can).  Regardless, it would seem more sensible to have the federated
> > > build under a subdirectory such as:
> > >
> > >   https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/harmony/enhanced/j2se
> > >
> > > or something.
>
> I still think this is a good idea.  I don't like "j2se" though so
> I think just "java" might be better.  That is, moving:
>
>   harmony/enhanced/trunk     => harmony/enhanced/java/trunk
>   harmony/enhanced/branches  => harmony/enhanced/java/branches
>   harmony/enhanced/tags      => harmony/enhanced/java/tags
>
> If no one speaks up I'm going to go ahead with this (final?) move on
> Monday 29th.  I will use svn copies as before but I think this time
> I will add <fail> messages to the top-level build files in the old
> locations to help prevent mistaken commits.

I've not forgotten about this but sadly the merge of trunk => branches/java6
which is a prerequisite for doing this move was not straightforward so
I've run out of time to do it today.  I'll try to do it tomorrow or as
soon as I can complete the merge since the actual restructure should be
quite easy.

Regards,
 Mark.

Re: More svn layout

Posted by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>.
I've removed the old federated build trunk and branches trees with
commit r933498.
-Mark.

Re: More svn layout

Posted by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>.

Re: More svn layout

Posted by Nathan Beyer <nd...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 8:47 AM, Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 26/Mar/2010 13:35, Mark Hindess wrote:
>> In message <20...@d06av02.portsmouth.uk.ibm.com>,
>> Mark Hindess writes:

>> I still think this is a good idea.  I don't like "j2se" though so
>> I think just "java" might be better.  That is, moving:
>>
>>   harmony/enhanced/trunk     => harmony/enhanced/java/trunk
>>   harmony/enhanced/branches  => harmony/enhanced/java/branches
>>   harmony/enhanced/tags      => harmony/enhanced/java/tags
>
> I like that name better too.

If you want anything more than 'java', then 'javase' or 'java_se'
would be workable.  I'm fine with 'java though.

Re: More svn layout

Posted by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>.
In message <4B...@gmail.com>, Tim Ellison writes:

> On 26/Mar/2010 13:35, Mark Hindess wrote:
> > In message <20...@d06av02.portsmouth.uk.ibm.com>,
> > Mark Hindess writes:

> > I still think this is a good idea.  I don't like "j2se" though so
> > I think just "java" might be better.  That is, moving:
> >
> >   harmony/enhanced/trunk     => harmony/enhanced/java/trunk
> >   harmony/enhanced/branches  => harmony/enhanced/java/branches
> >   harmony/enhanced/tags      => harmony/enhanced/java/tags
>
> I like that name better too.
>
> > If no one speaks up I'm going to go ahead with this (final?) move on
> > Monday 29th.  I will use svn copies as before but I think this time
> > I will add <fail> messages to the top-level build files in the old
> > locations to help prevent mistaken commits.
> >
> > Once that is done, I will also raise the INFRA JIRA to
> > get the new git mirror created.
>
> I expect we have a number of web/wiki pages to update too with the new
> location.

Yeah.  Fixing the web site shouldn't be too difficult[0] but I'm
not sure how to easily search/replace on the wiki.  There are also
a number of other things that need updating such as removing the
populate-src steps from the build.xml files and corresponding sections
from instructions.  These are on my todo list.

Regards,
 Mark.

[0] Except that my recent commits don't seem to have made the staging
    web site.

Re: More svn layout

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Re: More svn layout

Posted by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>.

Re: More svn layout

Posted by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>.
"Mark Hindess" writes:

> *sign* I thought I'd finally got to the end of all this but I was
> about to create the INFRA jira to get the new federated build git
> mirror created and it occurs to me that the location of the federated
> build is less than idea.
>
> In particular, the federated trunk, tags and branches are all under:
>
>   https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/harmony/enhanced
>
> which actually contains:
>
>   admin/
>   branches/
>   buildtest/
>   classlib/
>   classlibadapter/
>   common_resources/
>   contrib_archive/
>   drlvm/
>   jchevm/
>   jdktools/
>   microemulator/
>   sandbox/
>   tags/
>   tools/
>   trunk/
>
> I'm not sure if the git mirroring can cope with this (I suspect it
> can).  Regardless, it would seem more sensible to have the federated
> build under a subdirectory such as:
>
>   https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/harmony/enhanced/j2se
>
> or something.
>
> I am extremely pleased with how the restructuring is going but I'll be
> a lot happier when it is over. ;-) I can't help thinking if we don't
> fix this it will come back to haunt us eventually.
>
> Any thoughts/suggestions very welcome.

Just to give an idea, if we did the rename (and the deletes of the other
directories that are due in ~2 weeks) we'd end up with:

  admin/
  buildtest/
  classlibadapter/
  contrib_archive/
  j2se/
  jchevm/
  microemulator/
  sandbox/
  tools/

which does seem a little less of a mess.

-Mark.