Posted to general@gump.apache.org by Sander Temme <sc...@apache.org> on 2006/02/05 19:09:37 UTC

Gump on MacOSX

Hello all,

When vendors donate hardware, I think it's a nice reciprocation if we
make sure that our software runs on it.

In that spirit, I have set up Gump (I think) on a dual CPU Xserve;
results are here: <http://clarus.apache.org/>. Yay, a successful run!
However, where vmgump boasts 768 projects, I get 18, of which only
five succeed.

So far, I have:

* Checked out https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/gump/trunk/ into
   a local directory
* Set up GUMP_HOME and JAVA_HOME in cron/local-env-clarus.sh
* Copied metadata/minimal-workspace.xml to clarus.local.xml
* Installed a new Python 2.4.2 in /usr/local/python-install \
   /2.4.2 symlinked to current in the same directory, and
   prepended /usr/local/python-install/current/bin to my PATH
* Run ./gump run until it stopped bitching about missing Python
   modules (any way to get a list of those up-front?)
* Enabled the bundled MySQL 4.1.x on the box, created the
   database but haven't generated tables or set up access yet,
   so it looks like Gump is simply not using it.
* Set and exported JAVA_HOME in my environment
* Set and exported GUMP_PYTHON in my environment since it
   seemed to fall back explicitly to pyton2.3 and I installed
   2.4.2.

I suppose the next step would be to embellish my local-env-clarus.sh
and that clarus.local.xml file I copied. What does the vmware box run
with? Any suggestions on where to look/expand first?

The Xserve was donated by Apple and sits in the Apache infrastructure
rack, above loki.apache.org which hosts VMGump. I can give out
accounts as needed.

Thanks,

S.

Re: Gump on MacOSX

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
"Sander Temme" <sc...@apache.org> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> When vendors donate hardware, I think it's a nice reciprocation if we
> make sure that our software runs on it.
>
> In that spirit, I have set up Gump (I think) on a dual CPU Xserve;
> results are here: <http://clarus.apache.org/>. Yay, a successful run!
> However, where vmgump boasts 768 projects, I get 18, of which only  five
> succeed.
>
> So far, I have:
>
> * Checked out https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/gump/trunk/ into
>   a local directory
> * Set up GUMP_HOME and JAVA_HOME in cron/local-env-clarus.sh
> * Copied metadata/minimal-workspace.xml to clarus.local.xml
> * Installed a new Python 2.4.2 in /usr/local/python-install \
>   /2.4.2 symlinked to current in the same directory, and
>   prepended /usr/local/python-install/current/bin to my PATH
> * Run ./gump run until it stopped bitching about missing Python
>   modules (any way to get a list of those up-front?)
> * Enabled the bundled MySQL 4.1.x on the box, created the
>   database but haven't generated tables or set up access yet,
>   so it looks like Gump is simply not using it.
> * Set and exported JAVA_HOME in my environment
> * Set and exported GUMP_PYTHON in my environment since it
>   seemed to fall back explicitly to pyton2.3 and I installed
>   2.4.2.
>
> I suppose the next step would be to embellish my local-env-clarus.sh  and
> that clarus.local.xml file I copied. What does the vmware box run  with?
> Any suggestions on where to look/expand first?

Well, if you change the <profile /> tag in clarus.local.xml to:
  <profile href="profile/gump.xml" />

you should start to see the 768 projects.  You also haven't mentioned if
you've installed Maven.  You'll need that (version 1.0.2 unless you don't
care about high failure rates :), as well as MAVEN_HOME defined and
$MAVEN_HOME/bin on the PATH.

Re: Gump on MacOSX

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.
Done..

Mvgr,
Martin

Re: Gump on MacOSX

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.
In place..

Mvgr,
Martin

Re: Gump on MacOSX

Posted by Sander Temme <sc...@apache.org>.

Re: Gump on MacOSX

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.

Re: Gump on MacOSX

Posted by Sander Temme <sc...@apache.org>.

Re: Gump on MacOSX

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.

Re: Gump on MacOSX

Posted by Sander Temme <sc...@apache.org>.
On Feb 20, 2006, at 9:00 PM, Stefan Bodewig wrote:

>> I can certainly do that, as I figure out what is necessary. Shall I
>> just start a page next to VMGumpConfig?
>
> Yes, please.

Done: http://wiki.apache.org/gump/ClarusGumpConfig

Let me know if you see any obvious holes.

>> My current standings:
>>
>> Projects Successes Failures Prereqs No Works Packages 770 120
>> (15.58%) 101 (13.12%) 502 (65.19%) 00 (0.00%) 47 (6.10%)
>
> If you want to go beyond that, you'll need to install JDK 1.5 and use
> that in Gump since JUnit won't build on JDK 1.4.2 anymore.

I may start a separate 1.5 run in parallel, but so far I think
there's still some low hanging fruit I could pick out of the 1.4 runs.

I've now started a cron job for the regular 1.4 run at the same times
as VMGump, 6, 12, 18 and midnight. It should fire momentarily.

S.

Re: Gump on MacOSX

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 20 Feb 2006, Sander Temme <sc...@apache.org> wrote:

> OK, I'm a lot further along now.
>
> As before, see <http://clarus.apache.org/> for the latest run
> results.

Cool.

> On Feb 5, 2006, at 12:36 PM, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 5 Feb 2006, Sander Temme <sc...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> In that spirit, I have set up Gump (I think) on a dual CPU Xserve;
>>> results are here: <http://clarus.apache.org/>.
>>
>> Cool.  Any chance you could write up what you did in the Wiki?  You
>> should be able to find vmgump's setup there as well.
>
> I can certainly do that, as I figure out what is necessary. Shall I
> just start a page next to VMGumpConfig?

Yes, please.

> My current standings:
>
> Projects Successes Failures Prereqs No Works Packages 770 120
> (15.58%) 101 (13.12%) 502 (65.19%) 00 (0.00%) 47 (6.10%)

If you want to go beyond that, you'll need to install JDK 1.5 and use
that in Gump since JUnit won't build on JDK 1.4.2 anymore.

Stefan

Re: Gump on MacOSX

Posted by Sander Temme <sc...@apache.org>.
OK, I'm a lot further along now.

As before, see <http://clarus.apache.org/> for the latest run results.

On Feb 5, 2006, at 12:36 PM, Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> On Sun, 5 Feb 2006, Sander Temme <sc...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> In that spirit, I have set up Gump (I think) on a dual CPU Xserve;
>> results are here: <http://clarus.apache.org/>.
>
> Cool.  Any chance you could write up what you did in the Wiki?  You
> should be able to find vmgump's setup there as well.

I can certainly do that, as I figure out what is necessary. Shall I
just start a page next to VMGumpConfig?

>> Yay, a successful run!  However, where vmgump boasts 768 projects, I
>> get 18, of which only five succeed.
>
> This partly is because you use the minimal workspace, I guess.  Use
> the profile profile/gump.xml instead of profile/minimal-gump.xml.  It
> may very well be that minimal-profile doesn't even contain all
> projects necessary for a succssful build since almost nobody keeps an
> eye on it (I know that I don't).

* I brought up MySQL with local access only (just unix domain
   socket, no network), set up the database and a user and Gump
   is actually feeding data into it.
* I installed the Perforce client, Maven 1 and 2, Mono and NAnt
   and they are all found by Gump.
* As suggested, I switched to the gump.xml profile.
* I have been searching, finding and installing the packaged
software, but that is of course slow going and I'm not even able to
find everything.

My current standings:

Projects Successes    Failures     Prereqs      No Works   Packages
770      120 (15.58%) 101 (13.12%) 502 (65.19%) 00 (0.00%) 47 (6.10%)

So, my current questions:

1) The VMGumpConfig says to sync over the package collection
    from Brutus. This must be obsolete: I personally reinstalled
    Brutus and it ain't got no Gump on it anymore. Could I
    find this collection on VMGump or gump.zones if I had an
    account there? Could I get an account on either? Or perhaps
    I can give someone an account on Clarus and they can
    sync the package collection over. Finding these jars
    and installing them one by one is fun, but gets kinda
    old. I'd like to make the jump from 47 to 128 in
    one fell swoop.
2) Unlike VMGump, my gump_stats page is not working. Am I
    forgetting or not running something?
3) Same for the gump_xref.

Otherwise, I think I'm making good progress.

S.

Re: Gump on MacOSX

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 5 Feb 2006, Sander Temme <sc...@apache.org> wrote:

> In that spirit, I have set up Gump (I think) on a dual CPU Xserve;
> results are here: <http://clarus.apache.org/>.

Cool.  Any chance you could write up what you did in the Wiki?  You
should be able to find vmgump's setup there as well.

> Yay, a successful run!  However, where vmgump boasts 768 projects, I
> get 18, of which only five succeed.

This partly is because you use the minimal workspace, I guess.  Use
the profile profile/gump.xml instead of profile/minimal-gump.xml.  It
may very well be that minimal-profile doesn't even contain all
projects necessary for a succssful build since almost nobody keeps an
eye on it (I know that I don't).

Cheers

        Stefan