Posted to odf-dev@incubator.apache.org by jm...@apache.org on 2018/06/27 21:41:38 UTC

Podling Report Reminder - July 2018

Dear podling,

This email was sent by an automated system on behalf of the Apache
Incubator PMC. It is an initial reminder to give you plenty of time to
prepare your quarterly board report.

The board meeting is scheduled for Wed, 18 July 2018, 10:30 am PDT.
The report for your podling will form a part of the Incubator PMC
report. The Incubator PMC requires your report to be submitted 2 weeks
before the board meeting, to allow sufficient time for review and
submission (Wed, July 04).

Please submit your report with sufficient time to allow the Incubator
PMC, and subsequently board members to review and digest. Again, the
very latest you should submit your report is 2 weeks prior to the board
meeting.

Candidate names should not be made public before people are actually
elected, so please do not include the names of potential committers or
PPMC members in your report.

Thanks,

The Apache Incubator PMC

Submitting your Report

----------------------

Your report should contain the following:

*   Your project name
*   A brief description of your project, which assumes no knowledge of
    the project or necessarily of its field
*   A list of the three most important issues to address in the move
    towards graduation.
*   Any issues that the Incubator PMC or ASF Board might wish/need to be
    aware of
*   How has the community developed since the last report
*   How has the project developed since the last report.
*   How does the podling rate their own maturity.

This should be appended to the Incubator Wiki page at:

https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/July2018

Note: This is manually populated. You may need to wait a little before
this page is created from a template.

Mentors
-------

Mentors should review reports for their project(s) and sign them off on
the Incubator wiki page. Signing off reports shows that you are
following the project - projects that are not signed may raise alarms
for the Incubator PMC.

Incubator PMC

Re: Podling Report Reminder - July 2018

Posted by Svante Schubert <sv...@gmail.com>.
Hello Dave,

> Hi Svante,
>
> It’s great that you are getting funding.

Thanks!

> (1) Community development.
>
> If you want to attract other developers wouldn’t it be a better strategy
> to share your work even if more refactoring is planned?

Everthing is in the open and already shared.

The changes approach can be found on the odf-changes branch:
https://github.com/svanteschubert/odftoolkit/tree/odf-changes
There is some noise on the branch so merge and comparison will likely not
be easiy.

The generation approach via loading the ODF schema in MSV
(MultiSchemaValidator), dumping its model into a file, parsing it with an
ANTLR grammar into GraphXML and loading the latter into Tinkerpop can be
found on the code-generation branch:
https://github.com/svanteschubert/odftoolkit/tree/code-generation

Any of the bug reports enough to groom anyone to join?

Apparently not.

> (2) On this part -
>
> When were the last committers or PMC members elected?  2017-08-02
>

> You should provide the name of the individual.

Okay, its Michael Stahl, former RedHat developer now working for CIB on
LibreOffice and the ODF validator, which is part of the tool-kit.
I have added the name to our report.

> (3) What is the status of the move to GitHub? Is it completed? Is work
> needed on the website? It would be worth noting this information in the
> report.

It is completed. We moved only with our source code to GIT and kept the
website using SVN. As the site CMS is interleaved with SVN, so we would had
to recreate a site from the scratch, which was not worth the effort.
In additon, I like the existing site tooling and there are far not as high
requirements on site tooling as for source code tooling.
I had switched the SVN documentation for users to GIT right away, when the
switch was done.

> (4) Given that the project has been in the Incubator for 7 years shouldn’t
> there be discussions about whether or not the ASF remains the proper place
> for development?

A discussion is fine for me.

Looking past:
After Oracle thown the sources over the digital fence, IBM took hold on it.
But IBM lost its appetite as soon as they lost their interest on OpenOffice
due to LibreOffice and our library was no longer part of a commercial
product of a company.
Actually it was, but some companies did not understand the concept of
open-source. :/
I assume I am the one with the strongest believe that this library (with
the upcoming collaboration feature) has a high strategic value, but some of
the LibreOffice folks are sharing the idea and are willing to embrace the
sources, in case the efforts are too slow for Apache terms. Personally, I
would love to stay with Apache. I love its licence and the Apache way. In
addition, I would rather get my sponsored work done and do some disruptive
changes to the Toolkit before the repos are being moved in the future.

> Best Regards,
> Dave

Thanks for your feedback, Dave!

Cheers,
Svante

ᐧ

Re: Podling Report Reminder - July 2018

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi Svante,

Posted by Svante Schubert <sv...@gmail.com>.
Hi everyone,

I have added our report to Wiki.

You might have heard it already, I was able to win a second time the
funding of the German Prototype fund for Open Source Software and will be
supported over next Winter, again! \o/
I overall plan is to improve the code generation dramatically to abstract
the XML complexity from the users and provide a user layer by annotating
the ODF grammar earlier - so the idea ;-)
The official theme is electronic invoices, but the heart, the generation
part stays the same :-)

From my last Prototype funding, the feature branch for ODF collaboration is