Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Stadelmann Josef <jo...@axa-winterthur.ch> on 2011/10/03 13:00:42 UTC

Problems with MAVEN's-ANT on OpenVMS

Dear maven community,

I was never expecting that maven is using it's own ANT !

We are facing problems with ANT_171 on OpenVMS;

ANT 1.7.1 was unable to do a <GET properly when located behind a firewall !

For that to reach out to the world it is said on many places / document that one can

set the following JVM switches to pass / reach out through a Firewall

And now it comes:

For ANT one is told to use

-Dhttp.proxyHost=myproxy

-Dhttp.proxyPort=8080

-Dhttp.proxyUser=Sepp

-Dhttp.proxyPassword=mypassword

And different so one cannot use a common variable for booth

For MAVEN one is told to use

-Dhttp.proxyhost=myproxy

-Dhttp.proxyport=8080

-Dhttp.proxyuser=Sepp

-Dhttp.proxypassword=mypassword

ANT does not take http.proxyUser and http.proxyPassword into account!

For that to correct we added an Authenticator to our AntClassLoader.class ANT, reading http.proxyUser and http.proxyPassword from the system environment and setting up the Authenticator.

So we wrote our own AntClassLoader.class which creates an Authenticator and then calls the AntLauncher.class from the installed ANT version.

AND it works and standard ANT_171 was able to execute <GET's to remote files through the firewall without a need to justify al and every build.xml

Now with maven it just did not work and the reason why is: "Maven uses it's own ANT lib files !!!"

I was not expecting that maven reinvents the wheel.

So then - be it as it is --- how can we enforce maven to use a particular installed ANT version and not use the maven-internal ANT ?

And how can we debug ANT when called from maven. Maven has a mvnDebug.bat and we can make a antDebug.bat but this would imply that ANT is not forked somehow but called via a command.

Josef

And by text below, this gets fostered by Philippe which helps me a lot to make maven install Axis2 on OpenVMS

-----Urspr�ngliche Nachricht-----
Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
Could you have a non-OpenVMS machine running behind your firewall to host Nexus?

All you really want to use nexus as is a service to front the proxy
servers that you are working with.

It seems like overkill to port your entire toolchain to running on
OpenVMS just because you need to build some things on OpneVMS...

take the things which are pure services (e.g. nexus) and run them on
systems where they are supported but within your firewall

-Stephen

Posted by Tamás Cservenák <ta...@cservenak.net>.
Um,

unsure about OS versions, but by googling I found this:
http://vouters.dyndns.org/tima/OpenVMS-CRTL-Java-C-Illegal_seek-lucene-Problem_with_running_any_lucene_based_Java_code.html

Looks like Java on openVMS makes some software -- lucene among them --
0xdeadbeef.

Thanks,
~t~

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
Putting on my pointy hat with the stars on it, I'm predicting that
various APIs of the File object return strings ending in "." on
OpenVMS whether you want them to or not. Lucene creates a file that it
thinks is named '1', (or something ending with '1') and OpenVMS
helpfully decides that it's name is actually '1.', and that's what
comes out of the File APIs that list files in a directory. And it's
all downhill from there. Given OpenVMs's rather antediluvian file
system architecture, nothing about this should surprise anyone.

Posted by Tim Pizey <ti...@gmail.com>.
Wow Wayne, brilliant response!

Tim Pizey - http://pizey.net/~timp
Centre for Genomics and Global Health - http://cggh.org

Re: Problems with MAVEN's-ANT on OpenVMS

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
> Thank you Wayne for this excellent Analysis. If a routine belonging to the file system returns something badly,
> there is a little chance to influence by a logical JAVA$FILENAME_CONTROL which can be set to so many values
> used to control filename encodings, particular how to deal with dot's in file names.

I found some related comments that may be helpful to you... All this
talk of OpenVMS brings me back to days at Uni on VAX/VMS boxen. ;-)

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Languages-and-Scripting/Lucene-Solr-and-filepaths/td-p/4601881
and
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension_talk:Lucene-search/archive/2010#Lucene-search_on_OpenVMS

It seems you will need to use some configuration along these lines:
$ set proc/parse=extended
$ @SYS$COMMON:[JAVA$150.COM]JAVA$150_SETUP.COM
$ define DECC$ARGV_PARSE_STYLE ENABLE
$ define DECC$EFS_CASE_PRESERVE ENABLE
$ define DECC$POSIX_SEEK_STREAM_FILE ENABLE
$ define DECC$EFS_CHARSET ENABLE
$ define DECC$ENABLE_GETENV_CACHE ENABLE
$ define DECC$FILE_PERMISSION_UNIX ENABLE
$ define DECC$FIXED_LENGTH_SEEK_TO_EOF ENABLE
$ define DECC$RENAME_NO_INHERIT ENABLE
$ define DECC$ENABLE_TO_VMS_LOGNAME_CACHE ENABLE
$ FILE_MASK = %x00000008 + %x00040000
$ DEFINE JAVA$FILENAME_CONTROLS 'file_mask'

Wayne

AW: Problems with MAVEN's-ANT on OpenVMS

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stadelmann Josef <jo...@axa-winterthur.ch>.
Thank you Benson

pointing me into the right direction. Was an oversight on my site, that yet another product got involved. Lucene
So I have to download yet another hopefully open source project and build it on OpenVMS

We attempted to run
the Sonatype nexus war
on our Apache Tomcat/5.5.26 AS
on top of JVM Version 1.6.0-2.p1
from Hewlett-Packard Company
on OpenVMS 8.4 patched to latest level
in a ia64 OS Architecture environment

to get your right

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
> ++> sometimes inside an ant target maven gets called by a <mvn . . .   task/macro ;
> in this context, ANT already knows about the proxy info. But how is this information passed to maven now?
> If maven retrieves proxy setting from MAVEN_OPTS environment variable under any circumstances, then fine, if not, how is this passed to maven from a ant section in a pom? So the question may be allowed: does maven pick-up MAVEN_OPTS proxy information when called from within a ANT task?

This seems to be more of a question for the Ant folks or something you
could determine by looking at their source code. You're asking "what
does Ant do when I have a <mvn> task in my build.xml file" which I
simply can't answer.

Posted by Stadelmann Josef <jo...@axa-winterthur.ch>.
Hi Wayne
my comment ++> below

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
> Question: Given mavens settings.xml has the proxy info's does maven tell ant about this proxy information? If yes, where in code and how?

I don't know. I would expect the answer is in the maven-antrun-plugin
source code, and having just glanced at it now, I don't see any
specific location where such proxy information is handed off to Ant
(but it may be happening despite not seeing it obviously stated via
system properties or something):
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/maven/plugins/tags/maven-antrun-plugin-1.6/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/plugin/antrun/AntRunMojo.java?view=markup

If you determine that proxy information is not being passed to Ant,
and you patch this code to pass proxy info to Ant, please contribute
it back via JIRA for the benefit of other users.

I should also mention the setproxy Ant task which may be an easier
route to a solution for you:
http://ant.apache.org/manual/Tasks/setproxy.html

> Question: how does maven get best informed about the preferred authentication schemas to be used by the proxy server
> i.e. -Dhttp.auth.preference=Basic as described by the ORACLE documentation for JAVA and at many other places.

There appears to be an open JIRA related to this specifically:
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-3049

> Question: If ant is first and picks up and works would you expect for maven that ant tells maven about proxy info to be used?

I don't understand this question. Can you please try again, and
perhaps explain things more?

> BTW: I took the latest sources of nexus down to my Vista PC. Tried to build it as I do with maven and axis2 and it failed!

Why do you insist on building everything from sources? The rest of us

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
> May I ask you a favor and lead me to a document describing how we can make maven using our own ant 1.7.1,
> as we had changes in ANT 1.7.1 specifically for OpenVMS, those catching logical, and generating a temporary
> file where all the many hundred arguments being passed today to JAVA / JVM are stored in.

I already told you what to do but here are the complete steps:

Decide on a version string that you will use for your version of this
Ant build (if 1.7.1 is the base, I might call yours 1.7.1-AXA).
Make your own version of Ant's binaries (supposedly you've already done this).
Install those binaries into Maven's cache using the "mvn install"
command with proper parameters.
Note: this install step will need to be performed on every system and
across every user account that utilizes these modified Ant binaries
since you are not using a Maven Repo Manager.
Change you pom files to refer to this specific version of Ant using
<version>[your.version.here]</version>.
Execute your build and watch Maven use those Ant binaries instead of
the default.

It really is that simple.

> can we make maven use our ant by changing pom.xml or better have a more global approach/setup such as in a settings.xml?

The global approach involves a parent (corporate) pom that specifies
the Ant version and which you inherit in all your children poms. And
ideally you'd have Nexus installed and your various Maven instances
pointing to Nexus for artifacts so you didn't need to manually install
them everywhere.

Posted by Stadelmann Josef <jo...@axa-winterthur.ch>.
Hello Wayne

Thank you.

Wayne, I understand by far not all in maven , who does?

But thanks for the reply, it clears a bit of the clouds.

May I ask you a favor and lead me to a document describing how we can make maven using our own ant 1.7.1,

as we had changes in ANT 1.7.1 specifically for OpenVMS, those catching logical, and generating a temporary

file where all the many hundred arguments being passed today to JAVA / JVM are stored in.

can we make maven use our ant by changing pom.xml or better have a more global approach/setup such as in a settings.xml?

We need maven to execute our own ant 1.7.1 for now as this  is the only way we can pass 100+ arguments to JAVA/JVM on OpenVMS

The current version of ANT, which maven-2.2.1 uses by default, is not doing this right for OpenVMS.

And hence we run into the error shown in the trace below, which is from a AntSetup.xml calling the real build-wsdls.xml for test purpose.

It is even not executing correct just when just asked to execute an ordinary bash shell ls command.

And to be positive: We would not take this challenge and work and work just to get maven build maven and axis2 if we would not love maven!

But with openvms it is sometimes a night mare.

And it is a nightmare if maven developers use Unix scripts when they could use JAVA statements for the same.

Today we have maven build 6/7 of apache-maven-2.2.1 from the bootstrap, and we have maven-2.2.1 build axis2-1.6.0 to about 70%

And we see the day when we have a working environment on OpenVMS as many of you have on Linux and Solaris and Windows;

And we are not from HP owning OpenVMS but are just ordinary customers counting on open source communities!

And we do not yet have a nexus e all repository manager!

This will end in a next port to OpenVMS !!!

So we need to keep it simple and know how to deploy our own ANT into what you call mavens cache.

Josef.Stadelmann@

Axa-winterthur.ch

[INFO] Executing tasks

     [echo] Building WSDLs...

Overriding previous definition of reference to maven.dependency.classpath

     [echo] Running on OpenVMS

     [echo] Inside /dka3/sw-projekte/asf/axis/axis2/java/core/tags/v1.6.0/modules/codegen/AntSetup.xml. ANT Version = ${antversion}

not-CustomAnt:

CustomAnt:

     [echo] Executing /bin/sh -c 'export ANT_OPTS="-Dhttp.auth.preference=Basic -Dhttp.proxyHost=bcproxyserver.ch.winterthur.com -Dh

ttp.proxyPort=8080 -Dhttp.proxyUser=C770817 -Dhttp.proxyPassword=orbxorbx"; ls -l'

     [exec] %DCL-W-NOCOMD, no command on line - reenter with alphabetic first character

     [exec] %DCL-W-NOCOMD, no command on line - reenter with alphabetic first character

     [exec] Result: 229552

all:

[INFO] Executed tasks

[INFO] [resources:copy-resources {execution: copy-templates}]

[INFO] Using 'UTF-8' encoding to copy filtered resources.

[INFO] Copying 7 resources

[INFO] Copying 1 resource

[INFO] Copying 1 resource

[INFO] Copying 1 resource

[INFO] [resources:testResources {execution: default-testResources}]

[INFO] Using 'UTF-8' encoding to copy filtered resources.

[INFO] Copying 0 resource

[INFO] Copying 10 resources

[INFO] Copying 2 resources

[INFO] [compiler:testCompile {execution: default-testCompile}]

[INFO] Compiling 4 source files to /dka3/sw-projekte/asf/axis/axis2/java/core/tags/v1.6.0/modules/codegen/target/test-classes

[INFO] [surefire:test {execution: default-test}]

[INFO] Surefire report directory: /dka3/sw-projekte/asf/axis/axis2/java/core/tags/v1.6.0/modules/codegen/target/surefire-reports

[ERROR] BUILD FAILURE

[INFO] There are test failures.

Please refer to /dka3/sw-projekte/asf/axis/axis2/java/core/tags/v1.6.0/modules/codegen/target/surefire-reports for the individual te

st results.

[INFO] Total time: 40 seconds

[INFO] Finished at: Tue Oct 04 18:30:21 CEST 2011

[INFO] Final Memory: 25M/618M

bash$

> I was never expecting that maven is using it's own ANT !

Its not "using its own Ant." It simply does not use the Ant that you

previously installed but rather uses the Ant jars directly from its

cache.

> Now with maven it just did not work and the reason why is: "Maven uses it's

> own ANT lib files !!!"

> I was not expecting that maven reinvents the wheel.

It doesn't. This is a failure of your understanding of how Maven works.

> So then - be it as it is --- how can we enforce maven to use a particular

> installed ANT version and not use the maven-internal ANT ?

You simply need to "release" your own version of Ant using a specific

version eg 1.8-JOSEPH and then specifically depend on that version in

your Maven pom. You probably want to lock down the version with

<version>[1.8-JOSEPH]</version> to prevent Maven from helpfully using

a different version. You could use a "real" version like 1.8.2 but

realize that **will** cause problems in the future if/when Ant

releases their own version 1.8.2 jars.

Deploy your Ant version to your Repo Manager (assuming you are using

Nexus et al) and you should be all set.

Wayne

Re: Problems with MAVEN's-ANT on OpenVMS

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.