Posted to dev@stanbol.apache.org by Rüdiger Kurz <r....@alkacon.com> on 2012/02/09 12:37:52 UTC

Finding topics based on found entities

Hi "stanbolers",

I want to suggest a useful feature for stanbol:

Coming from the GUI perspective, I want to show related content for the
topic an article deals with.

Imagine a plain text that will be enhanced by stanbol using dbpedia. The
found entities contain "Steve Jobs" as person and "Apple Inc." as
organization: Now I want to ask stanbol to tell me the topic. One
possible answer would be computer science. In another case the found
entities contain "Steve Jobs" as person and "death" as event: If I ask
stanbol again for the topic a possible answer would be cancer.

Is that already possible using stanbol, if so: how? Or would that be a
useful feature for stanbol for future.

--
Kind Regards,
Rüdiger.

-------------------

Rüdiger Kurz

Re: Finding topics based on found entities

Posted by Olivier Grisel <ol...@ensta.org>.
2012/2/9 Rüdiger Kurz <r....@alkacon.com>:
> Hi "stanbolers",
>
> I want to suggest a useful feature for stanbol:
>
> Coming from the GUI perspective, I want to show related content for the
> topic an article deals with.
>
> Imagine a plain text that will be enhanced by stanbol using dbpedia. The
> found entities contain "Steve Jobs" as person and "Apple Inc." as
> organization: Now I want to ask stanbol to tell me the topic. One possible
> answer would be computer science.

I am currently working on a trainable topic classifier that directly
works with the input text (but could be extended in the future to
further use more structured input):

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STANBOL-197

> In another case the found entities contain
> "Steve Jobs" as person and "death" as event: If I ask stanbol again for the
> topic a possible answer would be cancer.
>
> Is that already possible using stanbol, if so: how? Or would that be a
> useful feature for stanbol for future.

This kind of feature could be implemented with the reasoner components
but don't underestimate the effort to write a comprehensive set of
rules.

--
Olivier