Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Samuel Medeiros <cc...@gmail.com> on 2013/07/01 19:06:52 UTC

Re: GSoC - Work Status

Greetings,

Following the approach suggested by Michael, I have developed the first
version of the 'StAX to SAX events' adapter.

To develop it, I have created a local project (attached) with the following
structure:

   - *org.apache.xalan.stax.StAX2SAXAdapter
   *Represents the adapter.
   - *org.apache.xalan.sax.SAXHandler
   *It's the SAX handler. It logs all incoming events into a stack.
   - *org.apache.xalan.stax.test.StAX2SAXAdapterTest
   *It tests the adapter by calling both SAXHandler
   and StAX2SAXAdapter with a common XML file and verifying that their event
   stacks are equal.
   - *org.apache.xalan.stax.resource
   *This package contains some XML files used in the tests: xalam.xml,
   birds.xml and xmark.xml. This last one is not included into the attached
   .zip file because its size is 35,7 MB. I have generated it using XMark (
   http://www.xml-benchmark.org/downloads.html).

As provided in the plan, this week I should study how to implement
StAXResult support, but I can also start integrating this adapter into the
Xalan code.

Michael, what do you advise me to do?

I am looking forward to having your feedback about this adapter.

Thanks,
Samuel Queiroz

Re: GSoC - Work Status

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
Hi Samuel,

We're just coming off a holiday weekend here. I'm just getting caught up
on e-mail.

Hoping to have some time tomorrow to take a look at what you have so far.

Thanks.

Re: GSoC - Work Status

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
Hi Samuel,

I'm just back from a vacation. Hope to take a look at the code you have so
far some time this week.

Samuel Medeiros <cc...@gmail.com> wrote on 07/17/2013 02:06:04 PM:

> Hello Michael,
>
> You will find attached a second version of the adapter.
> Now, it's able to read events from both XMLStreamReader and
XMLEventReader.

Re: GSoC - Work Status

Posted by Samuel Medeiros <cc...@gmail.com>.
Hi Michael,

As you can see in the last patch I've sent, I'm implementing StAXResult
support by passing an adapter (SAX2StAXStreamAdapter or SAX2StAXEventAdapter)
as argument to a ToXMLSAXHandler instance in the method TransformerImpl::
createSerializationHandler(..).

The ToXMLSAXHandler's javadoc says:
'This class receives notification of SAX-like events, and with gathered
information over these calls it will invoke the equivalent SAX methods on a
handler, the ultimate xsl:output method is known to be "xml".'

Indentation spaces and line ending normally generate characters events when
read. However, the ToXMLSAXHandler instance isn't calling any method
in the ContentHandler
(the adapter, in this case) to signal spaces.

I'm using the ToXMLSAXHandler as SerializationHandler because it's being
used when the output is a SAXResult.

I'm still trying to fix this indentation issue.
I created a sample using StAXSource/StAXResult and I'm gonna add it to the
final patch.

--

The issue of writing the enconding information was solved when I set
the XMLOutputFactory

--

Even if we have this indentation issue, once the semantic of the generated
result is kept, could this patch for StAXResult be accepted as a beta

Sincerely,
Samuel

Re: GSoC - Work Status

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
Hi Samuel,

Re: GSoC - Work Status

Posted by Samuel Medeiros <cc...@gmail.com>.
Hi Michael,

Re: GSoC - Work Status

Posted by Samuel Medeiros <cc...@gmail.com>.
Hi Michael,

Re: GSoC - Work Status

Posted by Samuel Medeiros <cc...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: GSoC - Work Status

Posted by Samuel Medeiros <cc...@gmail.com>.
Hi Michael,

Re: GSoC - Work Status

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
Hi Samuel,

Re: GSoC - Work Status

Posted by Samuel Medeiros <cc...@gmail.com>.
Greetings,

Re: GSoC - Work Status

Posted by Samuel Medeiros <cc...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Re: GSoC - Work Status

Posted by Samuel Medeiros <cc...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Re: GSoC - Work Status

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
Hi Samuel,

Samuel Medeiros <cc...@gmail.com> wrote on 07/21/2013 06:51:31 PM:

> Hi,
>
> I have tested the adapter with the Woodstox' StAX implementation.
> I got the 'endPrefixMapping' events, as expected. Thus, it is a
> possible bug in the built-in java implementation. I am using java 7
update 15.

> How should we proceed to report this?

You can submit bugs against the JDK here [1]. Good news that Woodstox
works though. Many Apache projects rely on Woodstox instead of the JDK
built-in StAX implementation.

> --
>
> This week I am gonna integrate the work I have done into Xalan and
> study the possibility to use the same approach (an adaptor) to
> provide StAXResult support.

Thanks again for the update.

> Thanks,
> Samuel

<snip/>

Re: GSoC - Work Status

Posted by Samuel Medeiros <cc...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: GSoC - Work Status

Posted by Samuel Medeiros <cc...@gmail.com>.
Hello Michael,

Re: GSoC - Work Status

Posted by Samuel Medeiros <cc...@gmail.com>.
Hi Michael,

Re: GSoC - Work Status

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
Hi Samuel,

Re: GSoC - Work Status

Posted by Samuel Medeiros <cc...@gmail.com>.
Hi Michael,

2013/7/7 <sh...@e-z.net>

> Samuel,
>
> Thanks for your report.
>
> Sincerely,
> Steven J. Hathaway
>
> > Greetings,
> >
> > Following the approach suggested by Michael, I have developed the first
> > version of the 'StAX to SAX events' adapter.
> >
> > To develop it, I have created a local project (attached) with the
> > following
> > structure:
> >
> >    - *org.apache.xalan.stax.StAX2SAXAdapter
> >    *Represents the adapter.
> >    - *org.apache.xalan.sax.SAXHandler
> >    *It's the SAX handler. It logs all incoming events into a stack.
> >    - *org.apache.xalan.stax.test.StAX2SAXAdapterTest
> >    *It tests the adapter by calling both SAXHandler
> >    and StAX2SAXAdapter with a common XML file and verifying that their
> > event
> >    stacks are equal.
> >    - *org.apache.xalan.stax.resource
> >    *This package contains some XML files used in the tests: xalam.xml,
> >    birds.xml and xmark.xml. This last one is not included into the
> > attached
> >    .zip file because its size is 35,7 MB. I have generated it using XMark
> > (
> >    http://www.xml-benchmark.org/downloads.html).
> >

> > As provided in the plan, this week I should study how to implement
> > StAXResult support, but I can also start integrating this adapter into
> the
> > Xalan code.
> >
> > Michael, what do you advise me to do?
> >
> > I am looking forward to having your feedback about this adapter.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Samuel Queiroz
> >

> > 2013/6/25 Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>
> >
> >> Hi Samuel,
> >>
> >> Xerces has partial support for StAX but doesn't yet have an
> >> implementation
> >> of XMLStreamReader.
> >>
> >> For testing purposes I'd suggest using Woodstox [1]. It's a popular open
> >> source StAX implementation which many Apache projects already use.
> >>
> >> There's also a complete implementation of StAX in all versions of Java
> >> 6+,
> >> so you could use that for testing too.
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >>
> >> [1] http://woodstox.codehaus.org/