Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Roytman, Alex" <ro...@peacetech.com> on 2000/07/19 18:34:22 UTC

RE: Tomcat benchmarks from orionserver.com, Please comment. Impor tant

According to Orion Tomcat 3.1 is almost 8 times slower than Orion or Resin.
Are this fair results?
Could someone from Jakarta team comment on it. We all like Tomcat, so please
do say something

form Orion web site:
Requests per second under the four different stress levels:

Server 	1 x 1 	4 x 1 	8 x 2 (16) 	16 x 4(64)
Orion 	615.00 	622.36 	597.1 	579.89
Tomcat 	84.19 	86.59 	74.48 	68.24
JRun 		386.17 	387.62 	370.1 	306.34
Resin 	606.01 	598.77 	588.74 	575.49
Weblogic 	122.55 	124.28 	125.73 	116.81

see http://www.orionserver.com/benchmarks/benchmark.html

Posted by "D.Yutzy" <dy...@copper.net>.
> would be really concerned if Tomcat (or any other particular server) was
> the
> only possible way to run servet/JSP based applications.

I entirely agree!  I've been evaluating the different products to provide
JSP/servlets and have appreciated all of the players in the field.  All
are comparable products and worthy of all the support given in these
forums.

I also looked that the commercial products and medium to small companies
who do NOT have the thousands of dollars to blow on Websphere or WebLogic
are the ones who truelly benefit from the efforts of those involved with
these server products.

Please, if these products have purchasable commercial versions, support
their efforts!

where to find a free testing tool for java program

Posted by dayong he cis stnt <dx...@oak.njit.edu>.
Hi All.

Is there any body who knows some free testing tools for java programs ?
I'll apprecite if you could share the information.

Regards.
David

Re: Tomcat benchmarks from orionserver.com, Please comment. Important

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
"Roytman, Alex" wrote:

> According to Orion Tomcat 3.1 is almost 8 times slower than Orion or Resin.
> Are this fair results?

What do you mean by "fair"?

Are you wondering whether the people running the test are lying about
the
results?  I have *absolute* faith that the people who ran this test are
ethical
and honest, and that the results they reported are the results that
actually
occurred.

Was this a test that focused on trying to maximize the difference
between Orion
and Resin and the others?  Let's not be silly.  The facts are the facts.

Does this benchmark, or *any* benchmark, represent how *your*
application will
run on the various servers?  Only if it is representative of the
workload your
application requires.  I like to say "Hello, World benchmarks only tell
you how
fast the server can say Hello, World" :-)  IMHO the only benchmarks that
really
matters is your application itself, or a simulation of the app that
faithfully
represents it.

> Could someone from Jakarta team comment on it. We all like Tomcat, so please
> do say something

You will note one important issue -- the benchmark tested Tomcat 3.1,
not
3.2dev.  This is an entirely reasonable decision at the time the
benchmarks were
run.  My suggestion is that you try your app under 3.1 and then 3.2
(where
there's been significant improvements in performance).

If Orion and Resin are still faster, then more power to the developers
of those
servers.  They are doing a great job at providing all of us with
multiple good
answers to "what server should I run", instead of only having one
option.  I
would be really concerned if Tomcat (or any other particular server) was
the
only possible way to run servet/JSP based applications.

And, oh by the way, "let the performance improvement race continue ..."
:-)

Craig McClanahan

Re: Tomcat benchmarks from orionserver.com, Please comment. Important

Posted by James Cook <ji...@iname.com>.
This is not meant as a slam against the very capable developers of Tomcat.

It really is a testament to these other opensource projects (resin
inparticular), that a single developer or two can produce such capable
products in such accelerated timeframes. Resin is mainly developed by one or
two persons, and didn't have the advantage(?) of an existing codebase. They
pumped out a very respectable servlet 2.2 compliant server months ago.

jim

Posted by Tim Kientzle <ki...@acm.org>.