Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Vanthournout Jo <Jo...@cronos.be> on 2006/01/12 13:56:00 UTC

Config files on multiple physical server instances

Hi,

Simple and quick question.
We are considering using jetspeed. However, we have multiple physical servers on which our stateless application runs (the servers are not clustered, all state is kept in the database). This is done for fail-over reasons. We noticed that jetspeed writes lots of files to the file system. In our situation, this is a problem. If a user changes the layout of the portal, this is written to the file system of the particular server that received the request. However this change should also be propagated to the other physical server.

Is this a known problem?
Is there a work around?
Is it for example possible to write all the configuration to a database? (the database is an oracle RAC and is thus shared among the different application servers.)

Thanks in advance

Tim & Jo
Cronos NV
Belgium

Re: Config files on multiple physical server instances

Posted by Randy Watler <wa...@wispertel.net>.
Gary,

I am not so sure that "millons" of users have been covered, but there is
a Database PageManager for 2.0. It is still being refined, but you
should look into it. You will want to modify
WEB-INF/assembly/page-manager.xml Spring configuration to follow
components/page-manager/src/test/secure-database-page-manager.xml,
replacing the Castor PageManager and handlers with the Database
PageManager like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE beans PUBLIC "-//SPRING//DTD BEAN//EN" "http://www.springframework.org/dtd/spring-beans.dtd">
<!--
Copyright 2004 The Apache Software Foundation

Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License");
you may not use this file except in compliance with the License.
You may obtain a copy of the License at

limitations under the License.
-->
<beans>

    <!-- Page Manager -->
    <bean id="org.apache.jetspeed.page.PageManagerImpl"
          name="securePageManagerImpl"
          init-method="init"
          class="org.apache.jetspeed.page.impl.DatabasePageManager">
        <!-- OJB configuration file resource path -->
        <constructor-arg index="0"><value>JETSPEED-INF/ojb/page-manager-repository.xml</value></constructor-arg>
        <!-- folder/page/link cache size, default=128, min=128 -->
        <constructor-arg index="1"><value>128</value></constructor-arg>
        <!-- folder/page/link cache expires seconds, default=150, infinite=0, min=30 -->
        <constructor-arg index="2"><value>0</value></constructor-arg>
        <!-- permissions security enabled flag, default=false -->
        <constructor-arg index="3"><value>false</value></constructor-arg>
        <!-- constraints security enabled flag, default=true -->
        <constructor-arg index="4"><value>true</value></constructor-arg>
    </bean>

    <!-- Transaction Proxying -->
    <bean id="org.apache.jetspeed.page.PageManager" name="pageManager" parent="baseTransactionProxy">
        <property name="proxyInterfaces">
            <value>org.apache.jetspeed.page.PageManager</value>
        </property>
        <property name="target">
            <ref bean="securePageManagerImpl" />
        </property>
        <property name="transactionAttributes">
            <props>
                <prop key="*">PROPAGATION_SUPPORTS</prop>
                <prop key="get*">PROPAGATION_REQUIRED,-org.apache.jetspeed.page.document.NodeException</prop>
                <prop key="update*">PROPAGATION_REQUIRED,-org.apache.jetspeed.page.document.NodeException</prop>
                <prop key="remove*">PROPAGATION_REQUIRED,-org.apache.jetspeed.page.document.NodeException</prop>
            </props>
        </property>
    </bean>

  <!-- PortalSite -->
  <bean id="org.apache.jetspeed.portalsite.PortalSite"
       name="portalSite"
       class="org.apache.jetspeed.portalsite.impl.PortalSiteImpl">
       <constructor-arg index="0"><ref bean="pageManager"/></constructor-arg>
  </bean>

</beans>

Posted by Gary Tang <ga...@gmail.com>.
Vanthournout: