Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by David Vandaele <Da...@dolmen.be> on 2005/01/14 20:04:10 UTC

Tomcat service crashes "unexpectedly", no trace in logs

Hi,

We're experiencing Tomcat crashes during stresstesting of a webapplication.

Situation: Tomcat runs as a Windows service.  During stresstests the Tomcat-services suddenly ends "unexpectedly".  The Windows eventlog logs states something like: "...service ended unexpectedly..."  The problem is not easily or consistently reproducable...

When I look at all the logs of Tomcat and of our webapplication, no mention of an exception or error or crash whatsoever !(?)  (They all just stop abruptly)

First I thought it was an OutOfMemoryError problem.  I forced an OutOfMemoryError myself by limiting the memory of the JVM of Tomcat severely.  But then I could see loggings of an OutOfMemoryError in the Tomcat stderr-log, which is not what I expected because I didn't expect any loggings of a crash at all...

The problem only *seems* to occur when the servermachine is completely left alone (not logged in or locked)  Additionally, it usually occurs after between 30-70 minutes or so.  When I keep monitoring the machine while the same tests are running the crash doesn't seem to occur ?!  Could it be a power-saving issue, like e.g. with the network-adaptor ?  Then I would not expect a crash, but a stacktrace ?

I tried adding a try-catch(Throwable) around a method where everything starts (the process method of my Struts ActionServlet). I've been trying to reproduce the problem since, but as I mentioned, it's not consistently reproducable...

I've searched the net trying to find related problems, or a JVM problem of some kind with this version, haven't been successful though...  If it is a problem with bad memory, I would expect to see different behaviour, like more random crashes, not only of the Tomcat service...

Environment: Tomcat 4.1.29, JDK 1.4.2_03, Windows 2000ProSP4, bi-processor Xeon machine.

Any help/advice/ideas is really welcome and appreciated !

Kind regards,

David

Re: Tomcat service crashes "unexpectedly", no trace in logs

Posted by Greg Lappen <gr...@lapcominc.com>.
David,

I have been chasing a similar problem for weeks now with tomcat 5.0.28
on Linux.  It occurs sporadically, sometimes a couple times a day,
sometimes after weeks.  I see no errors in the log file and no core
dumps.  At first I thought it was the JVM crashing but I've tracked it
down to the JVM shutting down normally somehow, as if somewhere
System.exit was being called.  I put a security policy in place and
enabled the security manager to prevent the System.exit call so I
should find the culprit in my log files the next time its called.

To test if this is what's happening, add a shutdownHook when your app
starts like this:

public class ExitListener implements ServletContextListener {

     public void contextInitialized(ServletContextEvent event) {
         Runtime.getRuntime().addShutdownHook(new ExitListenerThread());
         System.out.println("ExitListener installed shutdown hook");
     }

     public void contextDestroyed(ServletContextEvent event) {
         System.out.println("ExitListener.contextDestroyed()");
     }
}

public class ExitListenerThread extends Thread {
     public void run() {
         System.out.println("ExitListenerThread running!!!");
         System.out.println("current time is: " + new java.util.Date());
     }
}

Hope this helps.

Greg