Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Sankalp Bhatia <sa...@gmail.com> on 2020/08/03 04:23:55 UTC

kafka-reassign-partitions script for TLS enabled Zookeeper in Kafka 2.5

Hi All,

KIP-455
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-455%3A+Create+an+Administrative+API+for+Replica+Reassignment>
mentions
that command line changes for script kafka-reassign-partitions is added in
kafka version 2.6. However, I noticed that KIP-515
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-515%3A+Enable+ZK+client+to+use+the+new+TLS+supported+authentication>
(released
in 2.5) skipped adding a "*--zk-tls-config-file*" argument for this script
after mentioning this was being addressed in the former KIP, as a
bootstrap-server argument will be provided through those changes.

So I assume the only way to run this bash script in kafka version 2.5 is to
set system properties via the '-D'  arguments which are considered
insecure. Is my understanding correct? If making a change to add a config
file as an argument is an option, I would like to contribute with a
KIP/JIRA.

Thanks,
Sankalp