Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com> on 2009/07/06 17:06:14 UTC

A Comparison of Open Source Search Engines

http://zooie.wordpress.com/2009/07/06/a-comparison-of-open-source-search-engines-and-indexing-twitter/

I imagine many of you already saw this -- Lucene does pretty well in
this "shootout".
The only area it tended to lag, it seems, is memory usage and speed in
some cases.

Re: A Comparison of Open Source Search Engines

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
Interesting, I never realized there was lucene-java-dev@apache.org .

My thoughts are on http://www.jroller.com/otis/entry/open_source_search_engine_benchmark (and in several comments in the blog itself).

Otis

Posted by John Wang <jo...@gmail.com>.
mg4j is a nice project. It is missing the incremental aspects as well.The
"older" paper this experiment mentioned contains lucene-mg4j comparisons.

-John

Posted by eks dev <ek...@yahoo.co.uk>.

 Minion (https://minion.dev.java.net/)

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
>From the website of Hounder:

How does Hounder compare to Lucene?
Lucene is a full text search library, intended to be a basic building block
for applications needing text search functionality. Hounder, while it uses
Lucene, is a search engine, providing all the required components to gather
and find information with minimum extra coding, and often, no coding at all.

So it is like Solr or Nutch a "search server"/"framework" (or whatever)
around Lucene.

Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen
http://www.thetaphi.de
Anybody knows other interesting open-source search engines?

http://hounder.org

Re: A Comparison of Open Source Search Engines

Posted by Jorge Handl <jh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Earwin Burrfoot <ea...@gmail.com>.
I'd say out of these libraries only Lucene and Sphinx are worth mentioning.

There's also MG4J, which wasn't covered and has a nice algorithmic background.
Anybody knows other interesting open-source search engines?

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 00:39, John Wang<jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Vik did a very nice job.
> One thing the experiment did not mention is that Lucene handles incremental
> updates, whereas many of the other "competitors" do not. So the indexing
> performance comparison is not really fair.
> -John
>
> On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 8:06 AM, Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> http://zooie.wordpress.com/2009/07/06/a-comparison-of-open-source-search-engines-and-indexing-twitter/
>>
>> I imagine many of you already saw this -- Lucene does pretty well in
>> this "shootout".
>> The only area it tended to lag, it seems, is memory usage and speed in
>> some cases.

ICQ: 104465785

Re: A Comparison of Open Source Search Engines

Posted by John Wang <jo...@gmail.com>.