Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de> on 2002/01/31 08:44:14 UTC

To Release or not to Release?

Hi Team,

I'm not very happy with the latest overnight changes.
There were so many updates of external libraries (xerces, avalon,
resolver) which are now not really tested very well, I fear. (Perhaps
I'm wrong here.)
And as we see with xerces this has already influenced other
components (Deli) as well, so these had to be changed as well
(or being more precisly: removed).
Is this really necessary? Do we always have to use the latest and
hottest versions?
I think, it would have been better to wait for the 2.0.1 release
and make these changes afterwards. Even if that would mean that people
using Xerces 2.0 would not be able to use Deli. In fact, currently this
would be only a minority which could not use Deli, but no noone
can use it.
(OK, one positive aspect is that we now have official release of avalon
framework and excalibur in the repository, which I really like!)

Anyway, as these changes happened and I don't want to revert them,
we have to deal with them now.

Nevertheless I want to get the release out today. If I don't get
a -1 in the next 4 hours, I will roll it out then.

Thanks
Carsten

RE: To Release or not to Release?

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> >
> > Hi Team,
> >
> > I'm not very happy with the latest overnight changes.
>
> I have some concerns as well.
>
> > There were so many updates of external libraries (xerces, avalon,
> > resolver) which are now not really tested very well, I fear. (Perhaps
> > I'm wrong here.)
>
> Resolver is byte2byte identical. So shouldn't be a problem.

Good.

> Avalon, well, an official release is always better than a intermetiate
> snapshot.

Usually yes, but this assumes that a) the official release is compatible
to the intermediate and b) it has not introduced some bugs which weren't
in the intermediate release. I'm sure in the case of Avalon the offical
release is compatible and has less bugs - so no real problem here.

> My only concern is with Xerces 2.0: while I absolutely see the need to
> move to Xerces 2.0 as soon as possible, I think that doing it the day
> before release is a little too far.
>
> I would release with Xerces 1.4.4 and update it tomorrow.

Ok, I thought that, too - as we now have two "+1"s, I reverted back to
1.4.4.

> > And as we see with xerces this has already influenced other
> > components (Deli) as well, so these had to be changed as well
> > (or being more precisly: removed).
>
> Oh, that's not a big deal: we can add DELI support in 2.0.2

Yes.

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> Hi Team,
>
> I'm not very happy with the latest overnight changes.

I have some concerns as well.

> There were so many updates of external libraries (xerces, avalon,
> resolver) which are now not really tested very well, I fear. (Perhaps
> I'm wrong here.)

Resolver is byte2byte identical. So shouldn't be a problem.

Avalon, well, an official release is always better than a intermetiate
snapshot.

My only concern is with Xerces 2.0: while I absolutely see the need to
move to Xerces 2.0 as soon as possible, I think that doing it the day
before release is a little too far.

I would release with Xerces 1.4.4 and update it tomorrow.

> And as we see with xerces this has already influenced other
> components (Deli) as well, so these had to be changed as well
> (or being more precisly: removed).

Oh, that's not a big deal: we can add DELI support in 2.0.2

> Is this really necessary? Do we always have to use the latest and
> hottest versions?

When it makes sense, yes. For resolver, this is a just a legal thing.
For avalon, well, this will make Sam and Gump happier (and me as well).

> I think, it would have been better to wait for the 2.0.1 release
> and make these changes afterwards. Even if that would mean that people
> using Xerces 2.0 would not be able to use Deli. In fact, currently this
> would be only a minority which could not use Deli, but no noone
> can use it.
> (OK, one positive aspect is that we now have official release of avalon
> framework and excalibur in the repository, which I really like!)
>
> Anyway, as these changes happened and I don't want to revert them,
> we have to deal with them now.

I'm suggesting to reverting the Xerces 2.0 upload (just in case!) before
release.

> Nevertheless I want to get the release out today. If I don't get
> a -1 in the next 4 hours, I will roll it out then.

Uh, almost missed the deadline :)

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.