Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by JJD <jj...@home.com> on 2000/03/06 23:15:33 UTC

Servlet engine

Hi: Where would I get the "Servlet Engine A Servlet 2.x compliant servlet
engine" that is required prior to loading Cocoon? Thanks JJD

Re: Servlet engine

Posted by Russell Castagnaro <ru...@synctank.com>.
Ulrich,
I'm using it for several reasons:

   * It is much faster than any other pure java servlet engines out there.
   * The support staff pay special attention to trouble issues and special
     requests.
   * Its relatively inexpensive when compared to Jrun and new atlanta, etc...
   * It is clusterable.
   * It has 'plug ins' for Netscape, IIS and Apache
   * It is very small, which to me means good code.

On the negative side:

   * If you want to use SSL you have to use iserver as a plugin to another
     webserver, since it doesn't have built in support. (Of course I don't
     recommend anyone using software based ssl anymore)

I use/recommend  BEA Weblogic for Enterprise level services and Iserver for web
services.  In some cases I've recommended Iserver as a cluster controller for a
weblogic cluster too.
You are already on the right track since you are looking at Cocoon too.
-rrc
Ulrich Mayring wrote:

> Russell Castagnaro wrote:
> >
> > Iserver is great for this too.
> > http://www.servertec.com
>
> Hi Russell,
>
> I hope that I am not intruding and that you have a minute or so for my
> question.
>
> We are currently looking for a servlet runner with extreme performance
> and stability to replace JServ, so I looked at iServer and it doesn't
> sound too bad. What are, in your mind, the strong points of iServer? Why
> are you using it? Are there other products I should look at?
>
> thanks in advance for any pointers,
>
> Ulrich
>
> --
> Ulrich Mayring
> DENIC eG, Softwareentwicklung

Russell Castagnaro
Chief Mentor
SyncTank Solutions
http://www.synctank.com

Earth is the cradle of mankind; one does not remain in the cradle forever
-Tsiolkovsky

Re: Servlet engine

Posted by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de>.

RE: Servlet engine

Posted by JJD <jj...@home.com>.
After looking over both suggestions from Russell Castagnaro, and John Ky I
realized I need to go even further back. Instructions for loading the
servlet recommend installing Apache server. I also need JSDK 2.0, etc.. I
have a long ways to go, but I'll get it all. Thank again for the assistance
JJD

Re: Servlet engine

Posted by Russell Castagnaro <ru...@synctank.com>.

Re: Servlet engine