Posted to dev@hadoop.apache.org by Viraj Jasani <vj...@apache.org> on 2021/09/11 18:58:26 UTC

[DISCUSS] Checkin Hadoop code formatter

+ common-dev@hadoop.apache.org

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Viraj Jasani <vj...@apache.org>
Date: Tue, Sep 7, 2021 at 6:18 PM
Subject: Checkin Hadoop code formatter
To: common-dev@hadoop.apache.org <de...@hadoop.apache.org>

It seems some recent new devs are not familiar with the common code
formatter that we use for our codebase.
While we already have Wiki page [1] for new contributors and it mentions:
"Code must be formatted according to Sun's conventions
<http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/documentation/codeconvtoc-136057.html>"
but this Oracle's code conventions page is not being actively maintained
(no update has been received after 1999) and hence, I believe we should
check-in and maintain code formatter xmls for supported IDEs in our
codebase only (under dev-support) for all devs to be able to import it in
the respective IDE.
Keeping this in mind, I have created this PR 3387
<https://github.com/apache/hadoop/pull/3387>. If you could please take a
look and if the PR receives sufficient +1s, we might want to update our
Wiki page to directly refer to our own codebase for code formatters that we
maintain. Thoughts?

1.
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/HADOOP/How+To+Contribute#HowToContribute-MakingChanges

Re: [DISCUSS] Checkin Hadoop code formatter

Posted by Takanobu Asanuma <ta...@apache.org>.
Thanks for the initiative, Viraj.
I agree to add the code formatter.

- Takanobu

Posted by Takanobu Asanuma <ta...@apache.org>.

Posted by Takanobu Asanuma <ta...@apache.org>.

Posted by Takanobu Asanuma <ta...@apache.org>.

Posted by Takanobu Asanuma <ta...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ayush Saxena <ay...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ayush Saxena <ay...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ayush Saxena <ay...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ayush Saxena <ay...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ayush Saxena <ay...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Viraj Jasani <vj...@apache.org>.
PR 3387 <https://github.com/apache/hadoop/pull/3387> has been merged and
the Wiki page is also updated for devs to refer to the IDEA code formatter
xml. If any Eclipse user would like to contribute the formatter xml, please
feel free to comment on HADOOP-17892
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-17892> or create a sub-task.

Thanks to everyone who helped with reviews, merging the PR and updating the
Wiki page.

Posted by Viraj Jasani <vj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Viraj Jasani <vj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Viraj Jasani <vj...@apache.org>.