Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Lee Zhao <Le...@netro-corp.com> on 2002/08/14 01:30:16 UTC

apache+tomcat?

Can someone please explain why one needs or wants to use apache in addition to tomcat? Can one just use tomcat as plain web server for serving HTML pages? Thanks in advance.

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, Michael E. Locasto wrote:

> Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 20:11:01 -0400
> From: Michael E. Locasto <lo...@cs.columbia.edu>
> To: Tomcat Users List <to...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: apache+tomcat?

That statement is too simplistic.

> Of course, people's requirements are different, and Tomcat serving both
> static and dynamic content is cool for many different folks depending on
> their needs.

In particular, be aware of the difference between "fastest possible" and
"fast enough for my needs".

*Way* too many people go through the pain and agony of configuring a web
connector because they think they have to (or because people on this list
tell them they are nuts not to), when all they are running is an app with
almost no static content, or where the request rate is so low that Tomcat
standalone keeps up just fine.

My rule of thumb -- always try your app (under a representative load) on
Tomcat standalone first.  If its fast enough, then you can be done
configuring things in 15 minutes instead of 15 hours or 15 days.  If you
need the extra performance (or other features) that running behind a web
server provides, that's the time to invest in learning how to set the
connectors up.  But not until.

> Check out the website and the mailing list archives for good bits of
> information relating to this topic, it's a very popular one.
>
> Regards,
> Michael

Craig McClanahan

Re: apache+tomcat?

Posted by "Michael E. Locasto" <lo...@cs.columbia.edu>.

RE: apache+tomcat?

Posted by Jacob Hookom <ho...@uwec.edu>.

Tomcat is great at serving up dynamic content (jsp pages, servlets).
Apache is a great at serving up static content (images, html pages,
etc).

Through using mod_jk or other connectors, we can have Apache filter only
dynamic content off to Tomcat which frees up Tomcat to handle only the
stuff that matters, like JSP's and Servlets.  Let Apache handle static
content because that's what it does best.

Can one just use tomcat as plain web server for
| serving HTML pages?

Not a problem.

Thanks in advance.

---