Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com> on 2007/03/09 03:43:18 UTC

Getting ready for G 1.2 release?

I think we should start wrapping up the SNAPSHOT deps we have in 1.2
to prepare for a release.  These are the ones I am aware of:

     openejb 2.3-incubating-SNAPSHOT
     yoko 1.0-incubating-M2-SNAPSHOT
     activemq 4.1-SNAPSHOT

ActiveMQ is on its way to releasing 4.1.1, which should be available
soonish (maybe sometime next week?).

When can we get non-SNAPSHOT artifacts from OpenEJB and Yoko?

  * * *

There are also a few SNAPSHOT artifacts configured in  the testsuite/*:

     maven-invoker-plugin 1.0-SNAPSHOT
     maven-surefire-plugin 2.8-SNAPSHOT

We don't even use the maven-invoker-plugin, so that can be dropped.
And the maven-surefire-plugin is for TestNG support, and there isn't
much hope of getting that resolved any time soon.  But, these don't
need to be non-SNAPSHOT's for the release (would be nice though)
since this module is not included in the default build.

I suppose we could include the maven-surefire-plugin 2.8-SNAPSHOT
(and its deps) in the repository module (using timestamp-build
versions).  But IMO its not a requirement or blocking issue for 1.2
releasability.

  * * *

There are also 8 unresolved JIRA's for 1.2:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?
reset=true&mode=hide&sorter/order=DESC&sorter/
field=priority&resolution=-1&pid=10220&fixfor=12310181

Anyone know of any other issues which need to be wrapped up for 1.2?
And/or if any of the above issues should be resolved/deferred for
another release?  If you have a moment, please take a peek.

--jason

Re: Getting ready for G 1.2 release?

Posted by Rick McGuire <ri...@gmail.com>.
Jason Dillon wrote:
> On Mar 9, 2007, at 2:09 AM, Rick McGuire wrote:
>> The yoko vote for a release is underway, and the committer portion
>> will wrap up today and it will be sent to the incubator general list
>> for a vote.  With luck, the M2 release will be available next week.
>
> Oh, so G 1.2 is going to use 1.0-M2 for its release then?

Yep, that's the plan.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by Rick McGuire <ri...@gmail.com>.
The yoko vote for a release is underway, and the committer portion will
wrap up today and it will be sent to the incubator general list for a
vote.  With luck, the M2 release will be available next week.

We also have to update the javamail spec version and also the javamail
provider version.  The vote on the spec passed yesterday.  I haven't
checked to see if dblevins has published the new release yet.  I'll get
the vote started on the provider stuff today, as it was dependent on the
spec jar in order to publish the candidate.  That also should be
available early next week.

Rick

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
The openejb release is dependent on the yoko release.  As soon as
yoko is ready, we'll start the release.

-dain

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
I agree... if they are low hanging and easy to pick, then lets fix
'em... else lets push these off to 1.2.1.

--jason

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
David,

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
I played with it a little, though I have not tried to include these
deps into the assembly or TCK it... its really not that easy to test
that, given that it requires installing a new repo configuration in
mvn.  Once we have our own svn-backed repo this will be *much*
easier, but I won't have time to make that a reality for a few months
I'd imagine.

--jason

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.

--

James
-------

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
On Mar 8, 2007, at 7:47 PM, David Jencks wrote:
> I think the yoko release is on the way if not out.

Hrm... anyone know for sure?

> Jiras && my opinion:
>
> GERONIMO-433  	 Tolerate non-Sun JREs
> has anyone tried this? with yoko it ought to work

Would be good to have someone try IBM's JDK at least.

I just checked the source code, only one place I could find "import
com.sun" was in SubjectCarryingProtocolTest, and its commented out:

<snip>
     // import com.sun.security.auth.login.ConfigFile;
</snip>

> GERONIMO-2918  	 Have the ActiveMQ broker configured from an
> external configuration file by default
> I'm not sure this is such a great idea, but I'm not sure.  Actually
> I wonder about making an amq config builder that can read these
> files natively (and also gbeans etc).  This is probably too much
> for 1.2.

While I agree that it would be kinda better to use the activemq.xml
file to configure the broker... I don't think this has a chance of
getting into 1.2 (or 2.0 for that matter).  I'm also not sure that we
can collectively agree this is a good idea either.  We may want to
update the gbeans/console muck at some time to make it easier to use
the XML-based configuration, but again... not gonna happen anytime
soon IMO.

> GERONIMO-2927  	 Cannot rebuild Geronimo with external ActiveMQ
> XBean configuration because Spring Framework is missing
> This seems pretty important.  I think this involves adding spring
> to the amq-broker config and hiding it in the amq config, a couple
> minutes + testing.

Hrm... this might get fixed when/if the above gets fixed.  But seems
like if one is changing the source to use a specific features, then
one might need to update the poms to add new deps too.

We should probably include some kind of short documentation on how to
use an external activemq.xml with G 1.2, which may include adding
some jars to the repo... but *should not* require rebuilding
anything.  So if we need to add dependencies to the car to prevent
needing someone to rebuild the car to use the features I think we
should do it.  Otherwise documenting the jars to put into the repo
and how to enable the external activemq.xml file is probably sufficient.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.