Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Leo Neumeyer <le...@gmail.com> on 2011/11/09 19:07:34 UTC

Re: Git to SVN

cross-posting to incubator in case someone there also had to go through the
git to svn migration and can share their experience.

Is there a process we can follow to put s4 in the beta git program? I know
this can create additional work for the infra folks but seems we may
already have a beta system perhaps we can just try it and help improve it.
We all benefit.

-leo

On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 11:48 PM, Bruce Robbins

--

Leo Neumeyer (@leoneu)

Re: Git to SVN

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.

On Wednesday, November 09, 2011 1:38 PM, "Jeremy Thomerson"
<je...@thomersonfamily.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 1:30 PM, Christian Grobmeier
> <gr...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > In addition you can ask on wave-dev. They have finally decided to
> > loose history and do an initial checkin because it was not easily
> > possible to convert.
> >

> Why are we doing this on any project when we potentially have a git
> solution around the corner?  Why not add these projects to the git
> experiment and then only take this drastic action if the git experiment
> fails?

Because it is an experiment, and putting lots of projects on it turns it
into a real project before it is ready.

At present, the work goes to the project to get its code into Apache. If
they went to git, on failure, it would end up as infrastructure's work
to migrate it.

It needs to stay with just one project until that has reached the right
level to take on more.

Upayavira

Re: Git to SVN

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@alfresco.com>.
On Wed, 9 Nov 2011, Leo Neumeyer wrote:
> Perhaps there are concerns about relying on a third party but for an
> organization powered by volunteers, using a free service like this could
> be a great benefit. Perhaps there are good reasons why this cannot be
> done but was wondering if it was discussed at all.

It's been discussed at great length, on several occasions....

I'd suggest you have a browse through the infra and infra-dev list
archives for at least some of it, along with the incubator general
archives for discussions on why incubating podlings are not currently
allowed to use git (it's come up a couple of times recently)

Nick

Re: Git to SVN

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.
The ASF exists to produce software for the public good. Its software is
its primary (only?) asset.

Therefore, it needs to be in control of this asset, and that means being
in control of the revision control tools used to maintain it.

This means that whatever revision control is used, it must be managed by
the Foundation.

As to whether Git can be used, we have an experiment happening. Folks
who want to see Git adopted can help with that experiment.

Upayavira

Re: Git to SVN

Posted by Leo Neumeyer <le...@gmail.com>.

--

Leo Neumeyer (@leoneu)

Re: Git to SVN

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.

--
http://www.grobmeier.de

Re: Git to SVN

Posted by Jeremy Thomerson <je...@thomersonfamily.com>.

Re: Git to SVN

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
Leo,

On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 7:07 PM, Leo Neumeyer <le...@gmail.com> wrote:
> cross-posting to incubator in case someone there also had to go through the
> git to svn migration and can share their experience.

I already mentioned you should take a look at this tool from Jukka Zitting;
https://github.com/jukka/git2svn

In addition you can ask on wave-dev. They have finally decided to
loose history and do an initial checkin because it was not easily
possible to convert.

Cheers
Christian

--
http://www.grobmeier.de

Re: Git to SVN

Posted by David Lutterkort <lu...@redhat.com>.
Hi Leo,

what you are looking for is 'grafting' the master branch of your current
git repo into subversion via git-svn. This blog post[1] helped me a lot
when I was doing the same for Deltacloud.

David

[1] http://journal.sandesh247.com/2009/06/importing-git-history-into-new-svn.html