Posted to dev@bigtop.apache.org by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org> on 2015/12/23 08:48:06 UTC

SMTP issue with our CI

Guys,

I am looking at
    http://ci.bigtop.apache.org/job/Bigtop-trunk-RAT-check/

and while the build is failing for a reason, fixed yesterday, there's another
issue with it. Namely, there's no SMTP server running on ci.bigtop.apache.org,
so there's no way to send an email. Which will probably lead to the build
failure anyway. I see two options to fix it:
 - disable email reports (after all, we should be visiting CI often)
 - find a way to send emails by other means. Perhaps, by referring to the VM
   host instead of the docker container?

Thoughts?
--
Take care,
	Cos

         ---- Wisdom of the hour ----

Re: SMTP issue with our CI

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
I put together some pretty ugly hack. Here's what I've done

 - Jenkins is configured to send emails to docker0 host address (172.17.42.1)
 - host sendmail is now bound to 172.17.42.1 and loopback.
 - sendmail relay is limited to only localhost and 172.17 network. The rest
   of incoming traffic will be rejected to prevent the spammer from using us
   as a relay

This seems to be working just fine, except the the emails are coming from a
noone.nowhere place, but that's crappy JavaMail client not being properly
configured. It can be dealt with by installing some additional plugins to
Jenkins, or something like this. Please chime in if you know any better -
that'd be great!

Thanks,
  Cos

Re: SMTP issue with our CI

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Re: SMTP issue with our CI

Posted by Ashish Singh <as...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Cos,

Let me know if you need any help over here.

Regards,
Ashish Singh

Re: SMTP issue with our CI

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.