Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Mark Combellack <mc...@apache.org> on 2008/03/27 21:55:20 UTC

Adding SVN version to Java files

Hi,

I've been looking through the Tuscany source code and noticed that some
files have a @version containing the SVN revision number in their JavaDoc
headers but others do not.

As an example, @version might look like:

/**
 * Some JavaDoc for the class
 *
 * @version $Rev: 598005 $ $Date: 2007-11-25 16:36:27 +0000 (Sun, 25 Nov
2007) $
 */

I would like to go through the Tuscany source code and add this header where
it is missing. This would involve a large number of minor changes to the
Tuscany tree so I wanted to run it by everyone to make sure no-one had a
problem with me doing this at this time.

I'll probably start this next week unless there is an objection.

Thanks,

Mark

Re: Adding SVN version to Java files

Posted by Vamsavardhana Reddy <c1...@gmail.com>.
For example
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/java/sca/modules/implementation-java-runtime/src/main/java/org/apache/tuscany/sca/implementation/java/invocation/EventInvocationException.java
shows only $Rev$ $Date$ when you view the file using URL, but the values are
filled in when the file is checked out.

++Vamsi

Posted by Vamsavardhana Reddy <c1...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Vamsavardhana Reddy <c1...@gmail.com>.
Oh well...  it translates to the same thing as I wanted, except that there
is one additional commit to just add these header, but with a bonus that I
don't have to worry about checking for the header and svn:keywords when I
modify an existing file.  I will change my +0.5 to +1.

++Vamsi

I was wondering if we are any closer to a consensus on me adding @version to

Posted by Vamsavardhana Reddy <c1...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Simon Nash <na...@apache.org>.
Vamsavardhana Reddy wrote:
> "svn info <filename>" command will display information as given in the
> example output below:

> Repository Root: https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf
> Repository UUID: 13f79535-47bb-0310-9956-ffa450edef68
> Revision: 643735
> Node Kind: file
> Schedule: normal
> Last Changed Author: lresende
> Last Changed Rev: 639026
> Last Changed Date: 2008-03-20 03:05:13 +0530 (Thu, 20 Mar 2008)
> Text Last Updated: 2008-03-20 12:47:48 +0530 (Thu, 20 Mar 2008)
> Checksum: bd9c1e3dd4c14558e23de334db5da999
>
> I use TortoiseSVN on WindowsXP.  With this, when the file properties dialog
> is launched by right-clicking on the file and selecting "properties", there
> is a "Subversion" tab that shows some of the information given in the
> example above.
>
> ++Vamsi

Thanks.  This seems pretty easy to do, and it's 100% reliable.
Now I have discovered this, I don't see any great advantage in having
the same information within the file itself.

   Simon

Posted by Vamsavardhana Reddy <c1...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Simon Nash <na...@apache.org>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.
Do you use an ide with svn integration? Using eclipse with the svn plugin
you get this information displayed right next to the file name in the
package explorer, no need to right click or anything you don't even need to
open up the file. I'd guess other IDEs probably have similar tools
available. Could you try that to see if it gives you what you need? See
http://subclipse.tigris.org/.

   ...ant

Posted by Vamsavardhana Reddy <c1...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mark Combellack <mc...@apache.org>.

I'm still happy to make this change but I held off doing so since there does
not seem to be a consensus on the subject at the moment.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 9:55 AM, Mark Combellack <mc...@apache.org>
wrote:

<snip>

*         Typically, users do not do an SVN checkout of the source code and
> will not have SVN installed. They are typically provided with a jar file
> containing the source code. They will not be able to run SVN command to
> work
> out which versions of source code they are running
>
> *         Typically, there are many, many more users than there are
> developers
>
> *         If a source file is printed out or attached as an email as part
> of
> a bug report or published on a web server, the source code will contain the
> SVN revision number. This makes the bug easier to fix as you know the
> revision number. The SVN commands will not be able to tell you the revision
> number in these scenarios.
>

>From what everyone has said so far the above seem like the only real
justification for where these might be useful, and I'm sceptical whether
users really would care or use these as from what i've seen they say things
like "it broke in 1.1" or "it worked last week" and don't go down to
mentioning individual class files let alone revisions of the file, and
usually don't post whole class files to bug reports. Anyway, I'm obviously
in a minority on this so if everyone else really really wants to add these i
wont get in the way. How would that work - it would be manditory to add them
to each new file and everyone must have their SVN client configured so the
correct SVN properties get set?

   ...ant

RE: Adding SVN version to Java files

Posted by Mark Combellack <mc...@apache.org>.
Fantastic news ant :-)

Thanks for your offer of help to update the templates. I appreciate that.

All we need now is SVN commit access and I can get started.

Thanks,

Mark

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Combellack <mc...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 5:55 PM, Simon Nash <na...@apache.org> wrote:

<snip>

Regarding whether or not we have consensus and whether we should hold
> a vote, consensus is not the same as unanimity.  I think we need to
> make a decision on this issue (which is relatively minor) and move
> forward.  Holding a vote seems to be a reasonable way to do this.

Consensus is not the same as unanimity but that doesn't mean voting is the
way to resolve disagreements, you just have to look at the trouble doing
that has caused in the project when its happened in the past. A definition I
like for consensus is:

"A decision making process whereby decisions are reached when all members
present consent to a proposal. This process does not assume everyone must be
in complete agreement. When differences remain after discussion, individuals
can agree to disagree, that is, give their consent by standing aside, and
allow the proposal to be accepted by the group."

If someone who's an important part of the project (ie a PMC member?) doesn't
agree with something enough to refuse to stand aside then maybe in most
cases its best to just find another way. Thats one of the reasons I think we
should be a bit discerning about who we make PMC members - so that we trust
each other enough to know it most cases we would stand aside and if we wont
then for everyone to be able to respect that.

   ...ant

Re: Adding SVN version to Java files

Posted by Simon Nash <na...@apache.org>.
Mark Combellack wrote:
> Hi,
>

> The main reasons that I like the SVN details in the header of the files
> include:
>

> *         You can look at the source file and see what revision it is
> without having to use SVN commands
>
> *         Typically, developers will do an SVN checkout of the code using
> SVN so they can get the information via SVN commands or via the headers
>
> *         Typically, users do not do an SVN checkout of the source code and
> will not have SVN installed. They are typically provided with a jar file
> containing the source code. They will not be able to run SVN command to work
> out which versions of source code they are running
>
> *         Typically, there are many, many more users than there are
> developers
>
> *         If a source file is printed out or attached as an email as part of
> a bug report or published on a web server, the source code will contain the
> SVN revision number. This makes the bug easier to fix as you know the
> revision number. The SVN commands will not be able to tell you the revision
> number in these scenarios.
>

> The nice thing about the SVN keyword substitution is that a Developer is
> free to choose whether they want them or not as the expansion is done on the
> client side. If a Developer wants the $Date$ and $Revision$ expanded, then
> they have to update their SVN configuration to do so. If they do not, then
> they don't need to do anything as it is disabled in SVN by default. The key
> thing is that @version $Date$ $Revision$ is in the header to provide this
> choice.

Thanks for this explanation, and for bringing in the user perspective.
I can see that having expanded version information may be useful in
this user context.  It is not very useful to me as a developer, and
it can hurt me with applying patches if I enable the keyword expansion,
but I can turn this expansion off in my SVN client to suit my preference.

Taking all of this into account, I am +1 on this change.

Posted by Mark Combellack <mc...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Vamsavardhana Reddy <c1...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
wrote:

<snip>

> >  From the above, we have 4 +1s and no -1s - although we have a
> > > >
> > > to do this from ant. So, the consensus is to make this change.
> > >
> > >  We haven't held a formal vote, so I don't think we should be trying
> > to decide this based on a count of +1s and -1s.
>
> Agreed.  We should hold a formal vote.

We do consensus based development. Voting can be a useful gauging consensus
but voting does not make consensus. Its obvious from this thread that there
is not (yet) consensus so we don't need a vote, how about instead trying to

Posted by Vamsavardhana Reddy <c1...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 6:22 PM, Simon Nash <na...@apache.org> wrote:

> Mark Combellack wrote:

 I'd prefer to turn

Posted by Venkata Krishnan <fo...@gmail.com>.
I agree with Luciano's perspective.

- Venkat

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

--
Luciano Resende
Apache Tuscany Committer

Re: Adding SVN version to Java files

Posted by Simon Nash <na...@apache.org>.

Posted by Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com>.
I guess you missed my +1. :-)

Raymond

Posted by Mark Combellack <mc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Vamsavardhana Reddy <c1...@gmail.com>.
+1 on adding the missing revision headers.

++Vamsi

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.

Posted by Simon Nash <na...@apache.org>.
Luciano Resende wrote:
> If Mark is willing to check the missing files, +1 for the updates. I
> do find this useful from time to time.
>
> I also agree that developers should configure their IDE and SVN to
> proper add the tags and any necessary SVN properties to make this
> work.
>
> On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 9:44 PM, Vamsavardhana Reddy
> <c1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> +0.5
>>
>>  These numbers are expected to help in quickly getting to the revision in
>>  which these files are modified.  So, if the last revision on the file just
>>  added this header, it is not of much use.  I would suggest that instead of
>>  making a change to just add these headers, we add these headers in the new
>>  files and any existing files as we add/modify files.  This is a practice I
>>  follow for my Geronimo commits.
>>
>>  Also, the committer's machine should have the the subversion client
>>  properties set appropriately so that these svn:keywords get added to the
>>  newly created files.  These settings help in avoiding explicitly adding the
>>  svn:keywords on newly created files.  See [1].
>>
>>  [1] http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDEV/subversion-client-configuration.html
>>
>>  ++Vamsi
>>

>>  On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 2:25 AM, Mark Combellack <mc...@apache.org>
>>  wrote:
>>

>>  > Hi,
>>  >
>>  > I've been looking through the Tuscany source code and noticed that some
>>  > files have a @version containing the SVN revision number in their JavaDoc
>>  > headers but others do not.
>>  >
>>  > As an example, @version might look like:
>>  >
>>  > /**
>>  >  * Some JavaDoc for the class
>>  >  *
>>  >  * @version $Rev: 598005 $ $Date: 2007-11-25 16:36:27 +0000 (Sun, 25 Nov
>>  > 2007) $
>>  >  */
>>  >
>>  > I would like to go through the Tuscany source code and add this header
>>  > where
>>  > it is missing. This would involve a large number of minor changes to the
>>  > Tuscany tree so I wanted to run it by everyone to make sure no-one had a
>>  > problem with me doing this at this time.
>>  >
>>  > I'll probably start this next week unless there is an objection.
>>  >
>>  > Thanks,
>>  >
>>  > Mark
>>  >
>>  >
>>  >
>>  > For additional commands, e-mail: tuscany-dev-help@ws.apache.org
>>  >
>>  >

I haven't used this information yet, probably because it's not
always reliably available.  If we were all maintaining it with
our checkins, I think I would find it useful.  I am happy to
get myself set up correctly to add it to files that I create.

   Simon

Re: Adding SVN version to Java files

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vamsavardhana Reddy <c1...@gmail.com>.
+0.5

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
I'd prefer not to do this. I've never found these useful and think they just
clutter up the code.

   ...ant

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.
Mark Combellack wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been looking through the Tuscany source code and noticed that some
> files have a @version containing the SVN revision number in their JavaDoc
> headers but others do not.
>
> As an example, @version might look like:
>
> /**
>  * Some JavaDoc for the class
>  *
>  * @version $Rev: 598005 $ $Date: 2007-11-25 16:36:27 +0000 (Sun, 25 Nov
> 2007) $
>  */
>
> I would like to go through the Tuscany source code and add this header where
> it is missing. This would involve a large number of minor changes to the
> Tuscany tree so I wanted to run it by everyone to make sure no-one had a
> problem with me doing this at this time.
>
> I'll probably start this next week unless there is an objection.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark

+1 from me. Thanks for looking into that Mark!

Also, It would be nice if all contributors could configure their IDE
templates to insert the version in new files in the future.

--
Jean-Sebastien