Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Ahmad Kurdi <ah...@npeople.com> on 2004/04/21 17:26:33 UTC

Directly manipulating JDBC repository

Hi,

I'm looking into using James in an environment with a centralised user
database shared by multiple applications. So I was thinking of setting
the JDBC user repository to that database, and manipulate the users
through a seperate user management module. What I'm concerned about, is
mailbox integrity. Does James need to be told whenever a change is made?
Will it garbage collect any orphaned messages/mailboxes? Does it need to
be told to create a mailbox for a new user? Can I give James only
read-only access to the database? Those kinds of issues.
Has anyone done anything similar?

TIA

Ahmad

--
Ahmad Kurdi
Web Developer

RE: Directly manipulating JDBC repository

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> I'm looking into using James in an environment with a centralised
> user database shared by multiple applications.

Your best bet would be to wait for James to have better LDAP/JNDI support.
If you need to do this with JDBC, you'll need to create a custom user
repository, or create a view that matches what James expects.

> Will it garbage collect any orphaned messages/mailboxes?

Messages/mailboxes are not stored in the same location as user records.

> Does it need to be told to create a mailbox for a new user?

No.  It will do that automatically.  But it does need to be told to create a
new user record, or there has to be one.  Several people have written tools
for managing JDBC user repositories directly.

	--- Noel