Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Cameron Taggart <ct...@alumni.washington.edu> on 2002/08/20 03:16:12 UTC

Tomcat 4.1 b9, Reload Context with Ant

Hi All,

I am trying to configure Tomcat and Ant so that I can type "ant reload" and
the web application that I am running will be redeployed without restarting
Tomcat.  This would really speed up development for me.

The first issue is that I have the context set up with a couple of resources
in the server.xml file.  Tomcat will autodeploy (but not start) this app
even without a folder named $tomcat/webapps/myapp or a war file named
$tomcat/webapps/myapp.war.  If I remove the context
http://localhost:8080/manager/remove?path=/myapp, and then try to install
the context
http://localhost:8080/manager/reload?path=/myapp&war=file:/mybuild, the
application can't find the resources, the MySQL database pool, or the mail
session.

Is there any way to have the /myapp server.xml resources not be removed from
memory when the context is removed.  Or better yet, to have it put back in
memory when you install a context at the path /myapp?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Cameron

Re: Tomcat 4.1 b9, Reload Context with Ant

Posted by Cameron Taggart <ct...@alumni.washington.edu>.
I moved the <context/> that was in server.xml into a file named
C:\Projects\myapp\build\WEB-INF\contextConfigFile.xml.  With the cotext tag
I set path="/myapp" and docBase="C:\Projects\myapp\build", but this doesn't
work for me:

http://localhost:8080/manager/install?war=file://C:\Projects\myapp\build\WEB
-INF\contextConfigFile.xml&path=/myapp

The manager application reports that:
OK - Installed application at context path /peoplefinder
But when I go to http://localhost:8080/myapp/ I get:
HTTP Status 404, The requested resource (/myapp/) is not available.

Any ideas?  Does anyone else use a context config file?  It is new to me.

I liked putting the server specific resources in the server.xml file.  Does
the context config file have to be apart of the *.war?  Does it matter where
it is?  Where can I find more information on context config files?

Thanks a bunch for the lead.

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.