Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org> on 2015/03/25 23:05:20 UTC

Spinning up for 1.1 Release

With about 100 issues beyond the 1.0.x line [0], I think it's time to start
talking about our 1.1.0 release. Noteworthy goodness already committed to
the branch includes:

 - Async RPC client (HBASE-12684)
 - Improved compaction controls (HBASE-8329, HBASE-12859)
 - Per-column family flush (HBASE-10201)
 - WAL on SSD (HBASE-12848)
 - Tons of region replica enhancements around META, WAL, and bulk loading
(HBASE-11574, HBASE-11568, HBASE-11571, HBASE-11567)

There's also talk of porting over the MOB goodness (HBASE-11339), simple
RPC throttling (HBASE-11598), and bits from the new procedure bus
(HBASE-12439). Remember, this is a "minor release" [1] according to our
newly adopted semantic versioning guide [2], which means if you want new
features in, you've got to speak up now or wait for 1.2.

So timeline. Given HBaseCon [3] is right around the corner, I'd love to see
the 1.1.0 bits on every attendee's laptops and fobs. To make that happen, I
figure we'll need to start voting on RC's around April 24, give me time to
work out this whole RM thing and give you time to test 'em! Working back
from there, we should have the major feature landed and the release branch
cut on or around April 15. Are you up for this schedule?

For anyone who's bored, there's a couple unresolved blockers for this
release. I'll also take your help in monitoring the jenkins builds against
branch-1.

Thanks for your help in making this next release another great one!

Cheers,
-n

[0]: http://s.apache.org/hbase-1.1-issues
[1]: http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#hbase.versioning.post10
[2]: http://semver.org/
[3]: http://hbasecon.com/

Re: Spinning up for 1.1 Release

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 10:11 AM, Elliott Clark <ec...@apache.org> wrote:

> Any thoughts on HBASE-13517 ? It has no extra code changes so it shouldn't
> be de-stabilizing.

I'm inclined to include it -- someone else have a strong argument against?
Any suggestions on how we can test it properly? A new integration test
maybe?

Posted by Elliott Clark <ec...@apache.org>.

Posted by Cody Marcel <cm...@salesforce.com>.
The port for PHOENIX-1728

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@gmail.com>.
Devs --

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@gmail.com>.
No.

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.
Sorry guys,

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@apache.org>.

Posted by "rajeshbabu@apache.org" <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Lars Francke <la...@gmail.com>.
I'd love to have <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-13466> in if
no one objects.

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jerry He <je...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Nick

Posted by Mikhail Antonov <ol...@gmail.com>.
Let me get HBASE-13452, as I spent some time looking at this code before.

-M

Michael Antonov

Re: Spinning up for 1.1 Release

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org>.
All,

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
Nick:
Good to know that hbase 1.1 is around the corner.

In the future, patch applicable to branch-1.1 should be attached to JIRA
with branch-1.1 in filename for a QA run, right ?

Cheers

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org>.
Devs --

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org>.
Hi Devs,

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org>.
Heya folks,

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org>.
Heya folks,

Posted by Elliott Clark <ec...@apache.org>.
I'd like to get HBASE-13170 into 1.1 if possible. There's a patch, and it's
been reviewed by a co-worker, it's just missing a last review.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy