Posted to users@servicemix.apache.org by John Dubchak <jo...@johndubchak.com> on 2014/04/05 15:53:21 UTC

Re: Deployment of OSGi service bundles in Fuse ESB/SMX in production

Hi,

Just my opinion, but the idea behind decomposing your application into
bundles, beyond a decoupled modular structure, is that you avoid bad
side-effects on dependent bundles when deploying new bundles.

Restarting SMX isn't necessary when a new bundle is deployed as the
container will see that a bundles dependencies are no longer available
and should transition its lifecycle to a non-running state.  While there
are use-cases for restarting SMX, deployment of new OSGi bundles is not
one of them, IMO.

Simply deploying the new bundle and starting it *should* signal SMX to
transition the dependent bundle back to an Active (running) state.

Also, deploying a bundle and starting it can be accomplished in the same
step:

osgi:install -s ....

The "-s" above tells the installer to start the bundle if all of its
dependencies are resolved after the deployment.

John